Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small medical bill in collections, but not reported on credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Small medical bill in collections, but not reported on credit

Good Afternoon All!

Last week I received a notice via mail regarding a small medical bill in collections.  It's for a small amount ($70) and from 2012.  I called the original creditor, and she confirmed that I had a balance that was unpaid (My parents paid the bills back then so I didn't know).  She also confirmed the collection company that it was sent to without me telling her and it's the same company that sent the statement so I'm assuming it's valid. 

Since it's a valid debt, is debt validation useless?  Is there really a point?

My main concern is preventing this from being reported, the amount is so small that it wouldn't be a problem paying for it. 

Should I just call the collection company and offer to pay it in part if they agree in writing not to put it on my credit?  Try to negotiate? 

Thanks for the help everyone!

Side tangent, now I'm curious if this is the same debt that I got removed from my EX report last year.  (Hopefully nothing else pops up out of the woodwork, my parents come to find out aren't too good at paying bills it turns out >,<)

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Small medical bill in collections, but not reported on credit

IMO, I would pay in full and have them agree not to report. I WOULD NOT play any games with them. If you know the debt is yours, pay it and be done with it. It's alot easier to get it taken care of now, before it reports. It will also ease your mind getting rid of it.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, just pay it now. If you pay before its reported then there's no basis for them to even report
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

What type of guarantee would I be looking for them to provide?  Just a letter that states that this debt will be removed/not posted to any of my credit reports?  What would be the best way to deal with them?  They have an office in my city around 15-20 minutes from me.  Would that be better then via mail or phone?  What would make their agreement not to report legally binding?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for the advice!

Side note, It's really weird that the letter implies that I only have 10 days to respond when I believe I'm legally entitled to 30.  Is that normal?

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What type of guarantee would I be looking for them to provide?  Just a letter that states that this debt will be removed/not posted to any of my credit reports?  What would be the best way to deal with them?  They have an office in my city around 15-20 minutes from me.  Would that be better then via mail or phone?  What would make their agreement not to report legally binding?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for the advice!

Side note, It's really weird that the letter implies that I only have 10 days to respond when I believe I'm legally entitled to 30.  Is that normal?

You have 30 day to DISPUTE the validity of the debt (request Debt Validation). They are giving you 10 days to pay up or it gets reported. They can report it at ANY time. I would pay this yesterday.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.