Since it seems to be a more recent debt, they may not be willing to settle for less. It seems that when companies settle for 40% or so, it's on older debts. Yours is within the last year, correct? You said you stopped payments in December. I think you may have trouble negotiating it down even further when it has been defaulted for less than a year. You can try negoatiating a bit more, but I would pay the $1400 if they won't come down further. It is better than seeing a judgement on your CR. And then start paying on your other debts too.
I did call them back, and told them that I’d agree to pay the amount of $1,400 in full. I requested they fax me the agreement to expedite things but they stated it would be sent within the next 24-48 hours.
I asked if I needed to sign anything in agreement and fax back and he said no which I thought was weird.
I wanted to complete that portion today as I could have mailed them a check and get it sent out today.
So I asked them to also email me the agreement. So I’ll be awaiting that. He didn’t seem to know much as every question I had resulted in me being placed on hold. It seems they are wanted me to call back after I receive the agreement to make payment arrangements.
That all sounds pretty normal.
These law offices are contracted by the creditors to handle all their lawsuits in a certain region. So this office probably handles hundreds or thousands of credit card lawsuits like yours, so it's not surprising that they didn't really have much info on hand about your particular case.
Sounds like they're willing to work with you, so just keep pushing them until they take your payment and drop the suit, and I think you'll be fine in the end. Send them payment ASAP when you get the copy of the agreement - ideally, ask them for wire info and send it electronically, or with a credit/debit card over the phone, or a cashier's check (not a personal check) via first-A.M. priority delivery UPS/Fedex. Don't send a personal check, because they might tell you they need to wait 10 days for the check to clear. They won't withdraw the lawsuit until they have funds in hand, so time is of the essense - keep the pressure on them to make sure they do everything on their end in a timely manner.
Also, don't worry that they didn't ask you to sign any agreements - they really don't have any need for that. All they care about is if the check clears. I don't think I've ever been asked to sign an agreement when I've settled with a creditor.