Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So frustrating!!

tag
earena
Contributor

So frustrating!!

So my credit payment history just went from excellent to fair. Badcock furniture reported me not more than 60 days late. I called last week and the credit person said that it was an error and to wait until the first of next month and it would be reported as paid. That didn't seem right to me so I called back today. I was late on a payment by a few days in February and had a late fee assessed. When I called the store to make my payment, they told me my balance only, with no late fee so when I paid, it went towards the late fee and left a balance with my payment... Nobody ever told me. I just paid off the $898 balance too..and was expecting a jump, not a 44 point loss...The credit lady said she would send it to the department that could possible update my report to paid as agreed if they want to.. she said there was no number to call to talk to someone and call back the credit department in 3 days to see what they decide. I am so pissed at the store employee who forgot to tell me I had a late charge... It set my rebuilding back at least 6 months.....Anybody ever deal with Badcock? I know they aren't the best but when I started rebuilding my credit last year that $1600 limit looked good on my report, they report like a credit card.

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: So frustrating!!

Patience, grass hopper Patience!!! One thing I've done is to create or write down some where all billing cycles and when Cards report. That is critical to rebuild your credit. You just can't afford to make those mistakes. Hang in there and study this web site. Information is power Smiley Surprised

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

From my own experience, it may be different for others, if the missed payment was "real", not a filing error, its very hard to get off unless the company agrees to it. If its your first, your credit should (hopefully) rebound within the year though. 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I can see, there are two lates here, right?

The original 30 day late (real), and the second, 60 day late because of the balance that was caused by the late fee, am I correct?

If so, I would say that the first 30 day late is definitely your responsibility. However, the second one is partly their fault (I say partly because TECHNICALLY if you read the fine print, I'm sure your agreement with them mentions the late fee. So technically they did notify you). But... (personal opinions incoming), because if they say "Pay this much" and you pay that much, and then they say "oh, i forgot! It was actually that much plus a late fee, Woopsies", I don't think that's fair. I think they should take responsibility for that and remove your second late at least. That representative - represents their company,  so if he says something to you, I take that as a verbal legal agreement.

And if you're going to argue about the second one, might as well commingle them and have them remove both lates.  That's kind of like what I did with overdrafts back in the day.... I would get one legitimate one, and then because of the fees for the real one and the way the bank system screwed with you,  I would get a bunch more, completely unfair ones. So when I talked to them explaining how you need to be a banker AND a lawyer to understand their fee system, they would remove not just the ones that they madew a mistake on, but usually even the first real one.

When I was talking to them I used a balance of being really nice and taking responsibility with of course being firm on my opinion that they made a mistake.  Firm and nice, that's the way. You don't want to be aggressive but you don't want to be a doormat either

Good luck! I'm sure it'll work out. Stay in contact with them.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.