Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So irritated with Experian - EE mess!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

So irritated with Experian - EE mess!

Edit: They deleted it, just took awhile to process for some reason. 4/1-4/12 but hey, up to 710 from 670 it was worth it!

So I have a charge off from Ford that I paid in 2014 which is due to fall off in July. TU removed it via EE in January so I figured I would try Experian. Now I think there is going to be a huge mess. 

I called them on the 1st. First rep said that they don’t give EE on an account that didn’t start off as a charge off. No big deal, HUCA. Second rep submitted a dispute and said that it should be off in a few days. Well as of today it’s still on there and the dispute is still in process. Both reps I spoke to in the dispute department insisted that they are trained on EE and a supervisor wasn’t necessary, basically telling me no they were not going to get a supervisor for this. 

If they sent this to Ford and Ford validates it, it’s going to update a paid charge off for $2100 and absolutely wreck my score. I am bracing for this but if/when it hits, what recourse do I have at that point? There’s a $0 balance so there isn’t any reason to update so hopefully they don’t respond or they respond to go ahead and delete it but what the heck, Experian!?! I don’t understand how they could mess something so simple up!

It was nice being at 670 while I lasted, if this account gets updated I’ll be amazed if I stay above 600...

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: So irritated with Experian - EE mess!

@Anonymous wrote:

So I have a charge off from Ford that I paid in 2014 which is due to fall off in July. TU removed it via EE in January so I figured I would try Experian. Now I think there is going to be a huge mess. 

I called them on the 1st. First rep said that they don’t give EE on an account that didn’t start off as a charge off. No big deal, HUCA. Second rep submitted a dispute and said that it should be off in a few days. Well as of today it’s still on there and the dispute is still in process. Both reps I spoke to in the dispute department insisted that they are trained on EE and a supervisor wasn’t necessary, basically telling me no they were not going to get a supervisor for this. 

If they sent this to Ford and Ford validates it, it’s going to update a paid charge off for $2100 and absolutely wreck my score. I am bracing for this but if/when it hits, what recourse do I have at that point? There’s a $0 balance so there isn’t any reason to update so hopefully they don’t respond or they respond to go ahead and delete it but what the heck, Experian!?! I don’t understand how they could mess something so simple up!

It was nice being at 670 while I lasted, if this account gets updated I’ll be amazed if I stay above 600...

I feel like you and I are EX EE horrifying bad story-twinsies.

I contacted EX again, and I'm also still waiting.   I figure if they update my charge off *again* I'll just leave it be until July.  I don't know what else to do.  They keep updating my "paid" date further and further out (it was paid in August, they now list it as paid in November, gah!).

Luckily my score has only taken small hits in the meantime.   

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 2 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@calyx wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I feel like you and I are EX EE horrifying bad story-twinsies.

I contacted EX again, and I'm also still waiting.   I figure if they update my charge off *again* I'll just leave it be until July.  I don't know what else to do.  They keep updating my "paid" date further and further out (it was paid in August, they now list it as paid in November, gah!).

Luckily my score has only taken small hits in the meantime.   

You are fortunate that they have been refreshing yours. Mine hasn’t been updated since 11/2014 which will put me from over 4 years since negative to 0 days. That will have a serious impact. 

I don’t understand how they can be so incompetent. I’m going to go through the ceiling if this gets updated again. It’s bad enough that Ford updated it in 11/2014 to begin with. My previous history showed the repo and charge off happening in 2012 which is correct and how it is reported on EQ and was reported on TU. EX actually has the repo not happening and the charge off being in 2014 instead of me paying the charge off in 2014. 

Its a mess and I should have left well enough alone but all of the EE successes with EX on here got me excited... yeah that was stupid. And now that there is a dispute they won’t even talk to me so I have no way of knowing what’s going to happen until it does so I can only brace for the worst and hope for the best! 🤦‍♂️ 

Message 3 of 32
Acc-Risk
Contributor

You have nothing to worry about. Disputing it and them verifying isn't going to change the DOFD, or re-age the account. I just went through this with Experian on something that was due to fall off in a month and it verified, then naturally fell off when it should the next month.

Message 4 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it gets updated, I thought that FICO counts it as a new delinquency?

If it just gets verified and doesn’t have a score hit, I don’t care about that, but I can’t see how it won’t if they update it and my time since last delinquency gets reset. 

Message 5 of 32
Acc-Risk
Contributor

The only update they will do is the result of the dispute (verified likely) and possibly balance. It doesn't reset the delinquency date. 

Message 6 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a charge off account though and I remember when they updated it in November of 2014 I got a hit like it was a new account too. My last delinquency date is also marked as the charge off reporting date, not the August 2012 last late payment on the report. 

I guess I will see what happens. Maybe I’ll get lucky and Ford will just choose not to respond and it will get an EE by default. 

If they verify it and there is no score hit, I’ll be fine with that too but it’s my understanding that FICO counts an item as if it happened yesterday when it gets updated. Many people who have disputed old items have complained of that exact thing happening. 

Message 7 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

“You have nothing to worry about”

Famous last words when dealing with the CRA’s.  I am dealing with a similar situation as Saeren. Also with Experian. It’s making me wish I had just left it alone. It’s like I stepped on a land mine.

They were supposed to update one thing and they reset the date so now it looks like a fresh baddie. Now Experian claims the new info is correct and verified. They want me to submit documents to prove the info is incorrect.

Message 8 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

“You have nothing to worry about”

Famous last words when dealing with the CRA’s.  I am dealing with a similar situation as Saeren. Also with Experian. It’s making me wish I had just left it alone. It’s like I stepped on a land mine.

They were supposed to update one thing and they reset the date so now it looks like a fresh baddie. Now Experian claims the new info is correct and verified. They want me to submit documents to prove the info is incorrect.

This is exactly what I’m worried about!

Fortunately I DO have the payment history from Ford because I had them send it to me when I was going to dispute the account for the 11/2014 date before learning that the DoFD is not based on the charge off date from this very forum. If it comes down to it, I will submit that along with the letter from the attorneys office that I paid that shows them canceling the judgment for the payment as proof but yeah this could be a royal pain in the backside!

Message 9 of 32
Acc-Risk
Contributor

Well first of all, there's a reason why it was stated in nearly every EE thread that you NEED to escalate to a supervisor. The point of which is that you're requesting someone who has the ability to do so, to grant your early exclusion on the spot. What the employee you've spoken to has done is to initiate a dispute and verify the debt.

That said though, I think we're mixing up our terms. You're correct, DoFD is not based on the charge off date. You have to be delinquent first before it's charged off. That date doesnt change, ever. Your debt could be sold to 20 different agencies and the DoFD will still be the one reported with the OC. What I think you may be referring to is the reporting date, Remember Experian is a credit REPORTING agency. They don't make the rules, they relay whatever information they are given. The original creditor isn't required to report your debt, and many won't. What CAN happen during a dispute however is an old dormant debt that hasn't been REPORTED in many years, can then report when it's verfified via the dispute, which you have JUST done by not escalating to a supervisor. Now even thought the last reported date will be updated to this month, that STILL doesn't not change the DoFD. What you should have done is hung up, and called back in and requested a supervisor again until you got through.

Call in again today and request EE again, following the guidlines this time.

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.