cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So irritated with Experian - EE mess!

tag
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: So irritated with Experian - EE mess!

@Acc-Risk wrote:

Well first of all, there's a reason why it was stated in nearly every EE thread that you NEED to escalate to a supervisor. The point of which is that you're requesting someone who has the ability to do so, to grant your early exclusion on the spot. What the employee you've spoken to has done is to initiate a dispute and verify the debt.

That said though, I think we're mixing up our terms. You're correct, DoFD is not based on the charge off date. You have to be delinquent first before it's charged off. That date doesnt change, ever. Your debt could be sold to 20 different agencies and the DoFD will still be the one reported with the OC. What I think you may be referring to is the reporting date, Remember Experian is a credit REPORTING agency. They don't make the rules, they relay whatever information they are given. The original creditor isn't required to report your debt, and many won't. What CAN happen during a dispute however is an old dormant debt that hasn't been REPORTED in many years, can then report when it's verfified via the dispute, which you have JUST done by not escalating to a supervisor. Now even thought the last reported date will be updated to this month, that STILL doesn't not change the DoFD. What you should have done is hung up, and called back in and requested a supervisor again until you got through.

Call in again today and request EE again, following the guidlines this time.

Even following the 'guidelines' doesn't guarantee that it doesn't go sideways.

My DOFD has not changed, however they have changed the date that my account was paid and closed by several months so it looks like it was closed far more recently than it was, which (appears to have) caused my EX score to take a minor hit.    The one time I decided to dispute the changed date (instead of going for an EE) with actual proof - it was changed it again.   Whether it's human error or some sort of internal coding error/issue with EX doesn't really matter to me.     

I get told by the supervisor that they'll delete it, and they'll open a dispute (which is what happened with TU, I know that's just 'how it's done'), but instead of getting deleted, it's "updated" to more incorrect information (changed closed & payment info/date).    I will probably leave well enough alone until the actual deletion/7yr date at this time.

Like Saeren, I just saw everyone having great results and couldn't help myself but to try again.   And unfortunately, like Saeren, it made things worse (though not quite as bad as his)

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 11 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Acc-Risk wrote:

Well first of all, there's a reason why it was stated in nearly every EE thread that you NEED to escalate to a supervisor. The point of which is that you're requesting someone who has the ability to do so, to grant your early exclusion on the spot. What the employee you've spoken to has done is to initiate a dispute and verify the debt.

That said though, I think we're mixing up our terms. You're correct, DoFD is not based on the charge off date. You have to be delinquent first before it's charged off. That date doesnt change, ever. Your debt could be sold to 20 different agencies and the DoFD will still be the one reported with the OC. What I think you may be referring to is the reporting date, Remember Experian is a credit REPORTING agency. They don't make the rules, they relay whatever information they are given. The original creditor isn't required to report your debt, and many won't. What CAN happen during a dispute however is an old dormant debt that hasn't been REPORTED in many years, can then report when it's verfified via the dispute, which you have JUST done by not escalating to a supervisor. Now even thought the last reported date will be updated to this month, that STILL doesn't not change the DoFD. What you should have done is hung up, and called back in and requested a supervisor again until you got through.

Call in again today and request EE again, following the guidlines this time.

If you look at the I love Experian thread that was posted just this morning, they were presented the exact same situation - call, ask for supervisor, get told that they can handle the early exclusion request, only they actually got it done. 

As someone who used to work in customer service, it’s not uncommon for call centers that are getting inundated with supervisor requests to implement policies of teaching a subset of reps to handle the requests and deny the caller the ability to escalate the call which is exactly what Experian appears to have done here. I don’t know about you but when it comes to a company that holds something as important as my credit score, I really don’t want to tick them off. 

Regardless, I have to wait for the dispute to be resolved and go from there. Maybe I’ll get lucky and Ford will let it go like ACS did when I disputed the delinquent dates earlier this year. They let the account fall instead of fixing the errors. Since Ford got their money ages ago, it’s possible they won’t bother and this is just a cautionary tale about being impatient. 

Message 12 of 32
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Just a reminder, please keep it FSR

Thank you. 

Message 13 of 32
sjt
Senior Contributor

With Trans Union, when you request a early exclusion/deletion they process it as a dispute and their back office takes care of it. 

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 14 of 32
sjt
Senior Contributor

With Experian, you need to speak to someone in the Dispute Department. Call in the morning. Ask them when the earliest date it can be removed. They may tell you it can be removed immediately, or give you the exact date (which is usually 3-4 months early). If they say it has to be exactly 7 years, then HUCA. 

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 15 of 32
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Or conversely, stop messing with it 

EE is not a regulated procedure, it's basically however each CRA wants to handle it and most of their CSRs are not equipped to handle such a request.

With so little time left , is it really worth making sure it backfires whichever way possible? 

Just my .79 cents

Message 16 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sjt wrote:

With Trans Union, when you request a early exclusion/deletion they process it as a dispute and their back office takes care of it. 

Yeah they did this literally in a window of about 2 hours on a Saturday with TU. Put in a dispute online for that one. 

EX is just being a royal pain. I am going to see how this shakes out — if Ford doesn’t verify it, which they might not bother doing on a debt this old, it will come off anyway and if they do and it doesn’t drop my score, it’s coming off in July anyway so I’ll leave well enough alone like Remmy suggests. 

If it does end up coming back and doing damage, I will fight EX on it. 

I have called the dispute department twice and they say they can’t do anything until the dispute is resolved. This tells me they sent it to Ford but of course they won’t tell me what’s actually in the dispute over the phone. I can’t with those people 🤦‍♂️ 

Message 17 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

They deleted it!

E2DF39AA-CC90-4398-A278-E88221B49CF7.jpeg

I don’t know why it took so long but I’m happy with the outcome — two reports over 700 now! Smiley Very Happy

40 point gain for a charge off on a dirty scorecard... crazy!

Message 18 of 32
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

Congrats!  I know you are relieved now! 

Message 19 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FicoGuy2019 wrote:

Congrats!  I know you are relieved now! 

Thank you!

Yes I am but this sure does make it hard to stay in the garden until my BT is paid off in June! 😂 

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.