Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some confusion regarding collection accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some confusion regarding collection accounts

I currently have some collection accounts on my credit report but all were paid off several years ago. I'm having a hard time figuring out when they will drop off from my credit report and if there is anything I can do to get them off of there. The information below is what I pulled off my credit reports:

Account Name: CREDIT PROTECTION ASSO

Account Number: 125344XXXX

Acct Type: Collection Department / Agency

Acct Status: Closed     

Monthly Payment:      

Date Open: 8/1/2005

Balance:   $0.00   

Terms: Unknown     

High Balance:      

Limit:      

Past Due:      

Payment Status: Paid, was a collection account, insurance claim or government claim or was terminated for default

Comments:   Paid

For the above account the last posting for payment history was in Oct 2008 when it was paid off.

Account Name: LAWTON RETAIL MERCHANT

Account Number: 59XXXX

Acct Type: Collection Department / Agency

Monthly Payment:      

Date Open: 2/1/2005

Balance:   $0.00   

Terms: 1 Month     

High Balance:      

Limit:      

Past Due:      

Payment Status: Paid, was a collection account, insurance claim or government claim or was terminated for default

Comments:   Paid

Again with the above account the last posting in payment history was in November 2008 when it was paid off.

NJ HIGH ED

Account Name: STATE OF NJ HIGHED ED

Account Number: 1XXXXXXXX

Acct Type: Education Loan

Monthly Payment:      

Date Open: 8/1/2002

Balance:     $1,487.00 

Terms: Unknown     

High Balance:     $1,394.00 

Limit:      

Past Due:     $0.00 

Payment Status: Claim filed with government for insured portion of balance on loan Charged off as bad debt  Comments:     Government secured guaranteed

This account was for a student loan but was paid off in 2005 but its not showing anything about it being paid.

I've noticed on some other messages that it is usually sevens years since the date of last activity that the accounts are removed. I'm not sure what it is for the above accounts. I pulled all my credit reports using Experian. Do the other two companied have a different format? Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

EX 07/04/09 - 657

EQ 07/02/09 - 658

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Some confusion regarding collection accounts

Ok just a quick update. I check my credit report through this site that I have with Equifax and for the STATE OF NJ HIGHED ED account it is showing date of last activity as Aug of 2002.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Some confusion regarding collection accounts

Are the OCs reporting also? If so, check those for DOFD or a removal date. I'm not sure how EQ lists this date, but I believe that if you buy an EX report here you'll see it. The CA will be removed on the same date as the OC.

I would also advise that you do a search here for sample GW letters and send these out to the CAs listed on your report. Sometimes, they'll remove these early since you've paid them.

Also, it is normally advised here to try PFD before you pay a collection account. Do a search on that also if you have any remaining CAs.

Good luck!

PS...I believe the account showing last activity 8/02 will be removed within 3 months of 8/09

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.