cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some inquiries starting to fall off, can I expect point increases?

tag
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

Some inquiries starting to fall off, can I expect point increases?

Just yesterday a 2-year-old inquiry fell off my Transunion report, putting me down to 34 hard inquiries (according to CreditKarma) in the last 2 years.

An inquiry from UW Credit Union is exactly 2 years old today, so in theory should fall off tomorrow.

Then in September of 2017, I was car shopping, or at least trying to, but ended up not getting approved and got hit with 4 hard inquiries on Transunion in the first 10 days of September, so in theory, those should all fall off by mid-September.

A couple in October, a couple in November, a couple in December are set to fall off too. My question is: will lowering down from 34 down to about 24ish gain me any points?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Some inquiries starting to fall off, can I expect point increases?

If they are all over 1 yr that are falling then no. Inquiries only affect Fico for the first 6 months to 1 year.

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even then, I wonder if OP will see any gains from inquiries dropping for quite awhile due to how many there are. I think I recall BBS saying at some point inquiries stop hurting you. For ease of math, assume that an inquiry costs you 5 pts. In that case OP would be dealing with a 170 point loss just from his inquiries. That doesn’t happen. I think once you’re around 9-10 inquiries the impact is minimal or zero. I could be wrong but that’s what I remember reading.

OP, I think it’ll be awhile before you start realizing gains from inquiries falling off.
Message 3 of 19
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

What @gdale6 and @Anonymous said is correct. After 1 yr they dont count against your FICO score. But they are there for UW's to see for 2 yrs. When I hit 0 scorable inq's on 2 CRA's it didnt mean much at all. 5 points or so. So its not like your going to get 20-25 points. Inq's are only 10% of the FICO pie. Plus there's more of a hit between thin/thick files. Lastly. No more apps. 23 inq's for non car/mortgage shopping is a lot. Time to garden fellow member. Smiley Very Happy

Inquiries.jpg

Message 4 of 19
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The credit reporting agencies have reasons unrelated to credit scoring for retaining inquiries for two years.

They center around their potential obligation to provide a record of inquiries that are are up to two years since being filled, and potential civil action that might be pursued as to either the absence of a permissible purpose for a prior inquiry, or possible consumer disptues related to other provisions of the FCRA, such as civil liability for use of information received via an inquiry that is unrelated to credit scoring of the named consumer.

Fair Isaac is concerned only with whether or not a prior inquiry is a proper risk indicator, and has made the determination that after one year, it is not.  No, removal of an inquiry at two years will have no FICO scoring impact.

Message 5 of 19
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

While I don't expect a huge increase of 100+ points from these inquiries falling off, surely they could help.

Time will tell.

Message 6 of 19
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

To get the exact amount. Go back on CK and go to credit report. Then count how many are less than 1 yrs old. That is the true amount that is being scored by FICO. Over 1 yr doesnt mean anything except for Vantage scorewise. Then you'll really know where you stand.

Message 7 of 19
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

So all of them that say 2018 on them then?

Message 8 of 19
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

I count 10 that are less than 12 months old.

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any from 2017 that are farther along than August 25th also still count.
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.