cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone else paying my debt reset my DOFD?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Someone else paying my debt reset my DOFD?

Hello All,

It's been a few years since I've been on the boards since I had a few collection where I felt there was not much that could be done but to wait for them to fall off. I'm back and had a few questions hoping someone could answer. When I was 18 a few banks gave me credit cards w/8k worth of limits. I never really paid since I didn't use them, family member did pay for a few months. And then thought they stopped around April. That would have meant that this month they should have fallen off or at least be close, when I checked I noticed they weren't due to fall off till the end of the year. When I asked the family member stated he tried to catch up a few months later but dropped the ball again which leads to my question. If someone pays my debt to current, does that really reset me even though I'm not the person who did it?

I'm not in any particular rush or hurry about my scores, I've been pretty fortunate these last few years financially I'm simply curious.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Someone else paying my debt reset my DOFD?

It doesn't matter who pays it; the company just knows they got their money.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, OK. I was just curious. Seems kind of strange that someone could reset your account and you have no control over it. I'm sure its not an issue that arises too often but from a legal stand point, someone else paying a portion of my debt which in turn resets my DOFD and SOL date and I have no control over it seems kind of weird. In theory couldn't a CA make a one dollar payment on your behalf and reset things?

Message 3 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh, OK. I was just curious. Seems kind of strange that someone could reset your account and you have no control over it. I'm sure its not an issue that arises too often but from a legal stand point, someone else paying a portion of my debt which in turn resets my DOFD and SOL date and I have no control over it seems kind of weird. In theory couldn't a CA make a one dollar payment on your behalf and reset things?

CAs could do this.......but there are too many people that just don't show up to court and they get default judgements, so the CAs really don't have to work that hard unfortunately... Smiley Sad

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 10
laz98
Senior Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

CAs could do this.......but there are too many people that just don't show up to court and they get default judgements, so the CAs really don't have to work that hard unfortunately... Smiley Sad

True Smiley Sad  I suppose they could do that, but really it defeats the purpose of them trying to collect money from you (& others)...Those dollars would add up!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah but spending one dollar to save $1000+ judgement option really isn't that bad, ironically I'm sure they could pass the buck on to you in the form of a collection fee.
Message 6 of 10
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Yeah but spending one dollar to save $1000+ judgement option really isn't that bad, ironically I'm sure they could pass the buck on to you in the form of a collection fee.

Resetting your DOFD has nothing to do with the SOL, how long they have to get a judgment against you.  Once that time has passed, tough.

(You're probably right about that collection fee, though!)

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, but doesnt a payment reset your sol date as well?

I guess my point is, if anyone can make a payment on your behalf w/o your consent, and as a result expand your legal liability seems kind of shakey, since when have the courts allowed people the ability to obligate others to things, when not acting on their behalf or at their direction? i'm not an attorney obviously but assuming thats shakey, wouldnt the dofd arguement reset also be questionable? I'm not saying it applies to my situation, merely curious.
Message 8 of 10
laz98
Senior Contributor

No, not everywhere, & I would guess that if they tried to take you to court based on their own payment, they would have to prove that YOU made the payment & not them.  This is just speculation on my part, but I don't see how this could really work in their favor, unless you just didn't show up to court.

Message 9 of 10
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Sol resets depend on state law
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.