Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sons Discover non payment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sons Discover non payment

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

I doubt they would serve him papers for $1500.. Be curious to know what it really is for and what they say.

Why does everyone keep saying that? I've been sued for as little as $500.

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

I doubt they would serve him papers for $1500.. Be curious to know what it really is for and what they say.

I had four suits filed against me in 2013/2014 - one for $3100, one for $1600, one for $1200, and one for $500.

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes he does work. I guess when he missed the 35 next month would be 70 and so on with late fees. I wish he had told me then and I could have paid the 35 first time.  He had another barclay card and just his Ins and phone  bill. He doesnt make the best choices. 

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I will have him log in and take a look. 

Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Similar here, 1100.    2 months before statute of limitations would have been up.

Message 15 of 24
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The creditor does not necessarily spend bunches to bring civil action.

Larger creditors will simply file, get a court date for a long list of cases, and have the attorney show.

Filing will often get the consumer's attention, and get a settlement, so filing is a tactic to get payment.

If they do have to go to court, they treat as bulk processing.

They are not investing in attorney time and resources for a single case with one consumer.  They can and do bring civil action for law debt amounts.

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its definatley from the court and papes are filed, he has 30 days to respond and total is 1335.00 

Message 17 of 24
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Its definatley from the court and papes are filed, he has 30 days to respond and total is 1335.00 

I can't tell you how to handle it (that's best left to an attorney) but I can tell you what my attorney told me to do.

I was told to file an answer (i.e. respond to the notice) and write in that "I do not owe this debt."  I initially had a problem with this since I knew I did owe the money but my attorney explained that this would kick it to trial (giving us more time); writing anything else (or doing nothing) would have resulted in a default judgement.

In my case I was near the deadline, so I took the form (and three copies) to the courthouse, and got all copies stamped by the clerk.  They kept the original, and one of my copies I mailed to my own attorney, one copy I mailed to the other attorney (not sure why, but I was told to do so by my attorney so I did) and the third copy was for my own records.

I got really lucky... in my case, apparently the other attorney was accustomed to only dealing with default judgements, since he failed to turn in the paperwork on his end a few weeks later I got a notice that the judge had dismissed the case with prejudice (meaning they couldn't try to sue me again).  Had the other attorney been on-the-ball, the extra time allowed by having to wait on a court date would have allowed me to work with the creditor on a payoff rather than a judgement (that's the idea in not allowing it to go to default).

Again, this is how it worked for me in my jurisdiction, and it may be slightly different, or even quite different where you and your son live.  It might be worth a call to an attorney to at least see what the options are... the judgement will definitely "leave a mark" for years to come. 

Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe he had more debt than you think?  My dad, 93, decided to stop paying his cards since mom passed and he had quite a bit more than that.  Nothing happened.  They even sent him a certifited statement saying the debt was cleared and he did not owe anything.  Not sure about all of this judgement stuff but I am his DPOA and he is right according to everthing I've read that he has received in the mail.  Nohting in the court system either.  

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

I had four suits filed against me in 2013/2014 - one for $3100, one for $1600, one for $1200, and one for $500.

Times are definitely changing.  Hubby and I ignore the small debts as we know most of these ppl can't pay and are in dire straits with this heat.  I would be mad at 3100, but big banks?  Really?  Sorry to hear Norman.  

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.