Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting the journey

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Starting the journey

i am at the point where i am not paying any fees...I told them all i didnt want to settle and that i would pay everything in full..i now have a job where i can pay off all of my debt by september..just wanted to know the best way to approach going debt free while showing a good history and removing bad marks...I do not want to write a check for each amount in full then never have them speak to me again...

Message 21 of 26
annielorie
Valued Contributor

I don't blame you about not having a relationship after you pay in full.  IIecs left you some good links to start the process.  Start out with all on a spreadsheet call each original creditor.  Tell the truth for the last 8 months you were under employed and had the difficulty paying your bills.  Any creditor can pull an account back from a collection agency if they believe it would be in their best interest to do so.    Spend a couple of days perusing the internet re credit repair and reaD some more of the forums here.  Use collection agencies as last ditch effort.   But always try for a pay for deltion letter before you give any monies over.

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 22 of 26
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Oh and I'd push hard to save Amex macys and chase if possible  my reasoning is this Amex can be flexible if you can offer to pay in full.  If you had ontime payments prior to the eight months it might work.  Also don't be shy about asking them to remove the late payment marks and or late fees. Can not hurt to try.  It's called a goodwill letter .If they would be willing to keeep the accounts open it leaves you with a good mix of credit for your rebuilding stage. Student loans I dont know anything about(if they will delete bad marks or the like)  but ask the boards on that.  Chase is a small amount and again if they will put your account as current you will be in great shape.  As far as how much time you want to spend on this that is a question none of us could answer as we dont know what your motivations are new car home etc.  I know one thing right now re overdue accounts the economy is in a strange place and some get lucky through their efforts others not its a @rap shoot.  But I wouldnt go down without a fight as it will effect you for quite some time.  Hope that helps Good Luck!! 

Message 23 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I already spoke to AMEX and they said they would re-open my account if i paid the balance off...they would give me a limited limit of only 700$ but thats better than having nothing...

Message 24 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

okay so to clear things up I send the PFD's to the collection agencies and then the GW's to the actual credit card company?  and shoudl I re-word the PFD so that it states that I will be paying in installments rather than 1 flat fee in one shot?

Message 25 of 26
annielorie
Valued Contributor

yes put that in the letter a s well makesure you have your PFD letter before you start paying sorry I went awol

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.