Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting to get Credit Card offers in the mail again

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Starting to get Credit Card offers in the mail again

It's been probably at least a year since I got any credit card junk mail. I take this as a good sign that I'm starting to get them again now, even though none of them are worth accepting (and I'm trying to stay in the garden for at least a while longer).

I think it started when my FICO went over 650. (All the scores are currently in the 652-655 range.)

• Fingerhut gave me a big envelope with a catalog and a "You're approved for $800 credit!" letter. (No, not taking it.)
  • I got a "You're preapproved!" for a Valero gas card. A few months ago I might have gone for that, but not now.
  • Today Bank of the West (I have a checking account) gave me a "You're invited to apply" letter. (Not a preapproval letter.) Not interested right now (it's for a business card) but I still think it's an encouraging development.

At what FICO score (or other credit event or milestone) did you start getting credit card junk mail again?

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Starting to get Credit Card offers in the mail again

It’s always nice when you start getting the offers again.

I filed BK back in 2010 and the only thing I’ve gotten from non-predatory lenders was Capital One back in 2014 which gave me an unsecured card (first card since BK) which started at $300 and has now grown to $8250 and BBVA sent me a few letters for their ClearPoints card before I finally took it in December. My EX score was around 670 when I started getting the BBVA offers.

Waiting to see if more roll in once all three bureaus are up over 700.

It is definitely nice to be able to see your work paying off - Credit One and Merrick stopped sending me mail late last year. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is!  I just opted back-in at the end of March after I opted-out in 2009 when I filed my BK.  I just want to see one prime card offer and hold it in my hands before I shred it Smiley LOL

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s gonna be awhile before I get a prime offer... i app too much. Smiley Embarassed

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Patience is NOT something I do well with...I think I have 7 CLI denial letters coming my way this week...Smiley LOL
Edited: typo

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love this question because I was thinking just today after getting another Indigo card letter in the mail that I just can’t wait until I’m creditworthy enough to get good offers again!
Message 6 of 11
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

It’s a good feeling when the lenders start chasing you lol Lately Commerce Bank has been hounding me like none other 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

LOL or rather chasing you for good reasons and not to collect from you!!
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a fingerhut offer this time last year when my scores were in the (very) low 600s. I did take it at $500 sl, it’s now at $1445. I’ve used it a lot for under shirts, underwear, socks, cologne’s, kitchen stuff.

After that i’ve gotten subprime card offers from Indigo, Credit One, etc, nothing to get excited about. My scores are 656-658 right now, but I think I opted out of offers late last year and will opt back in when I have my scores in the 700s.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I love this question because I was thinking just today after getting another Indigo card letter in the mail that I just can’t wait until I’m creditworthy enough to get good offers again!

I know!

I just got a "You're pre-approved!" email for a store card. (I used to have a card with them, which was unceremoniously closed when my financial troubles hit last year.) Yeah, no, I won't be applying for that. 

It'll be interesting to see what other offers pop up in the months to come.

Until recently, I couldn't even get an online pre-approval for Indigo or Credit One. (I didn't want the cards; I was just curious.) Now I'm starting to get approvals with them too. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.