Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting to rebuild credit, need advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Starting to rebuild credit, need advice

I am just now starting to rebuild my credit after I completely trashed it when I was younger. I have about 18 derogatory accounts currently. 8 are in collections and 10 are closed/CO. Most of the closed accounts are set to drop off my report by August next year, so I am choosing to ignore those. I would think most of the collection accounts would be in the same timeframe to drop from my credit report, but I cannot find any information about when the delinquency first occurred on those accounts. So my first question is how could I go about finding when these collection accounts are scheduled to fall off? My next question deals with one of the CO accounts that aren’t set to expire for a while, but have passed the statute of limitations for my state. This particular CO is an old credit card account with last delinquency in Jul 2015, so a good 3 years until it drops. It is with JP Morgan Chase bank and the balance at charge off was about 12,000. I recently called them to see what they might be able to offer me in terms of a Settlement and they said about 7300. I told them I’d have to think about it, but I knew that was way to high because the ball is in my court. They cannot force collect and I am willing to wait out another 3 years if I can’t get a good deal with them. My question is how do I counter offer in these sort of deals. I’ve never negotiated debt before and I don’t even know how to bring up the topic of pay to delete with a settlement without offending them. I should mention that this account has not been sold, it is still with Chase internal recovery department.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Starting to rebuild credit, need advice

@Anonymous wrote:
I am just now starting to rebuild my credit after I completely trashed it when I was younger. I have about 18 derogatory accounts currently. 8 are in collections and 10 are closed/CO. Most of the closed accounts are set to drop off my report by August next year, so I am choosing to ignore those. I would think most of the collection accounts would be in the same timeframe to drop from my credit report, but I cannot find any information about when the delinquency first occurred on those accounts. So my first question is how could I go about finding when these collection accounts are scheduled to fall off? My next question deals with one of the CO accounts that aren’t set to expire for a while, but have passed the statute of limitations for my state. This particular CO is an old credit card account with last delinquency in Jul 2015, so a good 3 years until it drops. It is with JP Morgan Chase bank and the balance at charge off was about 12,000. I recently called them to see what they might be able to offer me in terms of a Settlement and they said about 7300. I told them I’d have to think about it, but I knew that was way to high because the ball is in my court. They cannot force collect and I am willing to wait out another 3 years if I can’t get a good deal with them. My question is how do I counter offer in these sort of deals. I’ve never negotiated debt before and I don’t even know how to bring up the topic of pay to delete with a settlement without offending them. I should mention that this account has not been sold, it is still with Chase internal recovery department.

Welcome. The best way for us to help is list out all the accounts. Generic help me's are hard to do without seeing the facts. List the accounts by Name of Creditor/Credit Line or Loan Amount/Balance/Charge Off or Closed Date

To see all the dates your asking about go get your free annual reports https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action 

And get your 3 FICO scores from creditchecktotal.com for $1 and cancel before the 7 day trial ends. Then we can see what to tackle first on your road to recovery.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

In addition to FM1's advice, i would search the forums on Chase PFD results. It's possible they don't do this; it's possible they do. After you learn others experience your path will be more clear.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

To add to what FM1 said, definitely print out your reports and you'll find the dates that these derogs are due to fall off, but I'll also add that (For whatever reason) some of your accounts may not have a listen fall-off date.  If that is the case, give TU, EQ, and EX a call and the CSR can give you those dates.

As an example, a couple of days ago I called TU and EQ about some derogs I wanted to get removed early, but did not have dates listed even though I know they were approaching seven years in a few months.  The CSRs were helpful in getting this sorted.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

sorry it has taken so long to reply, here they are.

https://imgur.com/QOvkQSX

https://imgur.com/c8WgMAH

https://imgur.com/oHIGyet

Message 5 of 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Kinda hard to read. Off hand the two accounts util are way to high. The one is over maxed at 89%. Killer. 2 open cards. One should be PIF each month and the other report ,8.99% for best scoring. If I am reading it right. 4 charge offs that were paid? The red numbers indicate the number of lates? If you could type it out it would help a lot. And with dates they were closed. The back and forth with 2 tabs isnt easy. Sorry.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just paid off those 2 open accounts, it just hasn’t been updated yet. As for all those closed accounts, I’m not sure what it means by paid because I did not pay any of them and they were charged off. This is The report I got from Experian. I can tell you that all of the closed accounts went into default in Jul 2013 except the JCMB card which defaulted in Aug 2015, and none of them have the date they closed available, but no payments were made on my part after the initial default dates I’ve mentioned. I have not paid anything for the collection accounts I’m not sure why one of them says 2% paid. Also my current FICO 8 score according to Experian is 541
Message 7 of 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

What do the red numbers indicate when you click to open the account? Number of times late? To get the accurate info needed for you is to get your free annual credit reports to see the dates and everything else needed to figure this out. https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action  

Then type out each account like this:

*Creditor Name/Credit line/Number of lates/Balance or charge off date and amount.

*Collection Accounts/Date/Balance

Then the total debt that you owe.

Looking at 3 pictures and trying to figure out what goes where. I dont have 2 computers to go back and forth to list it all. Sorry.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

*when I list last reported balance date, that is the last time the creditor had updated the account on my credit report

**whenever I say initial default, I mean the last payment I made to the account after which I made no other payments to said account 

Current active accounts:

-FEDERAL STUDENT LOANS IN DEFFERMENT $57802

-Cap 1 Platinum unsecured, $500 limit, no late payments (0 balance, freshly paid off)

-Indigo Card unsecured, $300 limit, no late payments (244 balance)

-Just applied and was approved for Cap 1 QS card yesterday with 300 limit

Closed\Charge Off accounts:

-BEST BUY through CAPITAL ONE

600 dollar limit with 672 last reported balance

Last reported balance Aug 2015 (this is also the only late payment reported, it has not been updated since that one late payment even         though I have not paid anything further on the account, so I guess I got lucky here)

listed as PAID\CLOSED with 98% of payments made on time (again, I don't see how this is possible since I stopped paying it Aug 2015, but I'm not complaining and it isn't listed as Charge Off)

-JP MORGAN CHASE BANK CREDIT CARD

13,600 limit with 11,313 last reported balance

Last reported balance Nov 2016 with initial default Sep 2015

Listed as BAD DEBT\PLACED FOR COLLECTION or SKIP with 87% of payments on time (this one is in their in-house collections)

-NAVY FEDERAL CREDIT UNION

1,000 limit with 1737 last reported balance

Last reported balance May 2019 with initial default Oct 2013 (for some reason, my equifax report lists the initial default as sep 2015, but i have made no payments on this account since 2013, I guess I should dispute this)

Listed as CHARGE OFF with 91% on time payments

-AMAZON CARD through SYNCHRONY BANK

600 limit with 852 last reported balance

Last reported balance Aug 2016 with initial default Aug 2013

Listed as CHARGE OFF with 92% payments on time

-LENS CRAFTERS through SYNCHRONY BANK

500 limit with 0 balance last reported (I was maxed at 500 the last payment I made, so not sure why it's listed as 0)

Last reported balance Jan 2014 with initial default Aug 2013

Listed as CHARGE OFF with 91% on time payments

-PAYPAL through SYNCHRONY BANK

1400 limit with 0 balance last reported (as above, it was maxed at my last payment, not sure why last balance is listed as 0)

Last reported balance Nov 2014 with initial default Aug 2013

Listed as CHARGE OFF with 90% on time payments

-USAA CREDIT CARD

4100 limit with 4477 last reported balance

Last reported balance Sep 2019 with initial default Aug 2013

Listed as CHARGE OFF with 94% on time payments

COLLECTION ACCOUNTS:

-Calvary 

Original creditor: GE BANK

$700 with collection opened Feb 2014

-EOS CCA

Original Creditor: SALLIE MAE (private student loan)

$4527 with collection opened Jul 2017

-Jefferson Capital

Original Creditor: VERIZON WIRELESS

$1596 with collection opened Feb 2016

-Portfolio Recovery

Original Creditor: SYNCHRONY BANK

$1758 with collection opened Oct 2014

-Portfolio Recovery

Original Creditor: COMENITY BANK

$412 with collection opened Jun 2015

-Portfolio Recovery

Original Creditor: CAPITAL ONE

$444 with collection opened Jun 2018

-Wakefield and Assos.

Original Creditor: INPHYNET PRIMARY CARE PHYS (medical bill)

$1575 with collection opened Mar 2019

*** for these collection accounts, I CANNOT find the original dates for the defaults from the original creditors on any of the 3 credit reports

Message 9 of 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Well thank you for listing the accounts. I will be straight to the point. You are walking on the edge of some of those accounts at any time will start the legal process which could lead to judgements, wage garnishments, and years of trying to pay all this off. Especially Chase. And years of the accounts working against you until they fall off or you try to pay it all off. Your $25,500+ in debt if I added it correctly. Dont know your income.

But I never say go file BK. I say it like this. It would take less time to file and have a fresh start and rebuild better than where your at now. Than trying to settle and pay all this stuff off.  Bluntly. Your in a world of hurt. Theres no way to say do this first and then do that. You got a load of bad debt working against you. I feel its time to speak to a lawyer and see what they can do for you. Nowhere to go but up. It cant get any worse. Sorry to be honest. But sometimes it just has to be said. Good Luck and whatever path you chose to go down.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.