Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting to rebuild

tag
CreditGame12
Contributor

Re: Starting to rebuild

I would go for both. Get your unsecured first! Just my honest opinion. But, I would do both in the same day. Remember, Cap1 will triple pull. Let us know what you do! 

Message 11 of 17
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Check for prequal cards from Cap One, Discover, and Merrick.

Solid prequals and non pred banks.

Maybe 1 secured card from a good back if no prequals.

I would only appy to 1 or 2 store cards that you will use often and offer great rewards.

I would not apply for more than 3 cards every 6 months.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again for all of the great discussion.  Today I applied and was approved for both:

Cap1 Platinum - $3000 CL

Discover IT Secured - $300 deposit

***and learned how to add them to signature!*** 

I plan on never letting either card get above 10% utlization each statement, and of course PIF.  Should I make payments before statements post so some statements show a $0 balance?  The "BK7 to 700 in 24 months"  guide discusses this but I have heard mixed reviews.

I do frequently shop on Amazon and Lowe's so would love to eventually apply for 1 of these cards, should I wait 5+ months before looking for a 3rd card?

Message 13 of 17
CreditGame12
Contributor

Wow! Congrats on the SL of your unsecured Cap1 card! I'm unsure of what to say for your 3rd card. I'm assuming you could apply for a 3rd to let them all age together, but I'm not sure how bk friendly they are. Best of luck! 

Message 14 of 17
DollyLama
Established Contributor

I prefer bank cards instead of store cards. Lowes gives more generous starting line of credit than Home Depot. I think Lowes like a score of mid 600s before they approve you. 

Have you received your FICO scores yet post BK? 

Amazon, I'm not sure about BK friendly, 5% rewards, but Discover throughout the year by quarters has a 5% category, Amazon will be from Oct, Nov and December.  Then it will change Jan-Mar, etc. 

IMHO, I'd apply only within this month, and garden (meaning no new apps) for a year to let the inquiries age off and let the age of youngest account hit the year mark -all at the same time. You will receive your best bump on any youngest card crossing that age threshold. 

Congrats on the 2 cards so far! 

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys!!

CreditWise, through the Cap1 app, is showing a score of 657 but I understand that this is the TransUnion Vantage score instead of a true FICO score.  I plan on pulling my free CR in a few weeks once I'm 1 month post-discharge.  I'll then try to clear up my credit report.

Do you think the Lowe's card is still a possibility given my recent discharge and mid-600s score? I understand the importance of opening all accounts in the same month.

Message 16 of 17
CreditGame12
Contributor

You can pull your FICO from creditchecktotal.com for all 3 without dinging your credit. It's a $1 trial and you can cancel within the website before the 7 days to avoid the $30 monthly charge. FICO scores are usually different (up or down) from your Vantage score from CK.
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.