Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State Tax Liens

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

State Tax Liens

I have a question about State Liens.

I have a lien filed in 2002.  It was paid and released in 2005.

Does the 7 year clock start when the lien was filed or when it was paid?

Thanks
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
southernficoaddict
Frequent Contributor

Re: State Tax Liens

I think that I read that it starts from the date released.  I have one of these also, and if you can come up with a way to get rid of it please let me know..
Message 2 of 5
smallfry
Senior Contributor

7 years from the date paid. You can get it removed with a lot of legwork and a little bit of luck. Problem with this like any other judgment or public record is sometimes you can get it off 1 or 2 reports but not all 3. Sometimes you get lucky. With 4 more years to run it might be worth trying.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

FCRA 605 states 7 years from date paid.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The method I used is to contact the state comptroller and work to get a filed in error letter. Wait a month or more. After the filed in error you have to dispute with the CRA's who will verify with the local county clerk that it the lien was filed in error. If it's pretty old they may work with you. The trick is to get someone specific on the line. Get there name and work to down home accent. My situation is a bit unique in that I had a small business in 2001 when my reserve unit was sent to Afghanistan. I did not report $0 in my sales tax report. So the comptroller guessed how much my business should have been making. I was a little busy so when I got the letter showing that I had a lien I turned around and sent payment. I then forgot about it. That's my story on state tax liens.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.