cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State tax lien Satisfied - What do I do next to get it removed from CRA?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

State tax lien Satisfied - What do I do next to get it removed from CRA?

So I paid off my NJ tax lien. EX took it off automatically it seems as they are no longer reporting it.

EQ and TU have not. I wish to dispute these both based on the warrant of Satisfaction recieved from the NJ state authority. From what I understand it is at the discretion of the CRA's to remove the tax judgement. Correct?

But however if I don't try nothing is going to happen. So the next steps are basically:

1. Send in a Goodwill letter to EQ and TU.

2. Attach the warrant of satisfaction as evidence stating it is paid in full.

3. Anything else?

Also does anybody have a good will letter that has worked for a satisfied tax judgement thatthey are willing to share with me? A sample would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly has this method worked for other people who have disputed with EQ? - http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Equifax-Finally-Removed-Disputed-Judgements/t...

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: State tax lien Satisfied - What do I do next to get it removed from CRA?

The seven year exclusion period for tax liens does not begin until the tax has been paid.

Payment of the lien thus begins the run of the period, and is not basis for exclusion.

To obtain earlier exclusion, you will need to determine if your state provided for vacature of the lien itself after it has been paid.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response.

There was no vacature of the lien. Can I ask for it after I have already paid the lien? 

Is it possible to ask a CRA to remove as a good will gesture as I have no other "baddies" on my credit report?

Also has anybody had an experience getting a lien removed from the CRA after its been paid. Its my only DE on my account with everything else being on time and paid up.

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The CRAs are in the business of selling credit reports. 

It is in their interest that their product be as complete as possible, thus increasing their value to others who wish to purchase.

The CRAs have a firm policy of not granting good will deletions of accurate information.

They have, for example, a policy statement in their credit reporting manual and reporting agreements that furnishers should not delete accurate information based on payment of a debt.

You will not obtain a good-will deletion from a CRA.

The public record information (tax lien) must be vacated by the posting agency in order for the CRA to be requried to delete from their credit reports.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.