Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Statute of Limitations Question - MORTGAGE

tag
dallasareaguy
Frequent Contributor

Statute of Limitations Question - MORTGAGE

Our home in Missouri foreclosed in 2012. Original mortgage was satisfied by sale of home.

The last payment made to the second mortgage company was 08/2011. (4 years ago just passed today)

Statute of Limitations is 4 years from date of last payment in Texas.

Statute of Limitations is 5 years in Missouri.

Should I presume that the Missouri statute will hold up since that is where the loan originated?

Therefore presuming they have 1 more year from today to sue me for the debt but will have to sue me in Missouri?

EDIT: I promise not to hold anyone replying as legal advice.. I'm just hoping someone knows the answer... Smiley Wink

CapOne QS
$10,250

AMEX Delta Gold
$15,000

AMEX BCE
$5,000

AMEX BCP
$1,000

AMEX HHonors
$1,600

Discover it
$2,000
FICO8 Scores:
EQ: 648
TU: 654
EX: 691

(as of 07/15/2017)
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Statute of Limitations Question - MORTGAGE

Depends on whether Missouri is a Recourse or a non-recourse state. If they are a recourse state, then if Missouri has a borrowing statute, then the SOL of Texas would apply if they brought suit in Missouri. OTOH, if Missouri is a non-recourse state, then the creditor cannot sue, as the property is considered to have settled the debt, whether upside down or not.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.