Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stern Recovery Services PFD

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stern Recovery Services PFD

Good Morning! 

I've been disputing (4) Medical Collections for a few months, with moderate luck. The collections have been removed from TU and Experian, but not Equifax. The collections are not mine, and the OC can not find them in their system My FICO scores are TU 653 EX 653 and EQ 530. The only difference on the reports are, my car payment with SECU, and these four collections. I'm trying to buy a car within the next months, and I am getting worried that I won't have time for the files to update. 

I reached out to SRS to find out if they offer PFD, and she said yes, although I also read here that other people were not able to get PFD. I was worried that she just wanted payment, and could not gurantee them being deleted. So, I offered to pay (2) today, and if they are removed I will have to bite the bullet and pay the rest. Is this a good idea, or should I have asked her to provide a letter or something to prove that it will be deleted?

Also, I just recieved an auto CLI on my secured Capital One card, from $200 to $500 today. Do you think this will boost my score a few points? My goal is at least 680 by Feb 22. 

Any other suggestions, tips, or recommendations?

Thank you so much for any piece of help that you can provide! 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Stern Recovery Services PFD

First things first I would ask them to get this in writing. Tell them to mail this information PRIOR to submitting payment. ALSO ask them to validate the debt. Make them confirm that you indeed owe this debt.

Debt collectors have to follow the law, and the law allows for validation, and written documentation of the debt.

Now, if you are 100% sure you owe this debt ask them to get this in writing.

Debt collectors want to settle because they bought you're debt from the entity. They will settle typically for 40% less than the actual balance. So if you're balance is $300, ask to settle for $150 in a PAY IN FULL.

Message 2 of 9
vntrsc
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

First things first I would ask them to get this in writing. Tell them to mail this information PRIOR to submitting payment. ALSO ask them to validate the debt. Make them confirm that you indeed owe this debt.

Debt collectors have to follow the law, and the law allows for validation, and written documentation of the debt.

Now, if you are 100% sure you owe this debt ask them to get this in writing.

Debt collectors want to settle because they bought you're debt from the entity. They will settle typically for 40% less than the actual balance. So if you're balance is $300, ask to settle for $150 in a PAY IN FULL.

A request for validation is timely only when sent within 30 days of the initial communication containing the 30-day validation notice.  The OP did not state when or if he has received that notice. 

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right... 

Message 4 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

If they are not yours and a fraudulent just use the laws afforded you in the FCRA to have then excluded from your CRs

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Victim-of-Identity-Theft-What-To-Do-to-Protect...

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just spoke with Stern regarding medical debt totaling less than $700. Lady was rude from the beginning of the call (probably because she immediately asked for my phone number and I replied that I would not give it), would not agree to provide anything in writing prior to my making payment stating that they would remove the collections from my credit report if I paid in full. Said they would not send anything in writing beyond the initial letters, which I no longer have. Also will not email an agreement to remove the collections if paid. Said that they would request that the reporting agencies remove the credit and the call is recorded so that should be the proof. But I don’t have access to the recording so what protection does that give me? She was unwilling to discuss further, asked if I was making a payment, I said no I don’t think so under these conditions, she said thank you for calling and hung up. So much for reaching out in an attempt to resolve the issue.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good afternoon! 

To help alleviate some of your worries, my paid collections were completely removed from my EQ, the only bureau that they were reporting, just a day or so ago. My phone call was a little different, the person that I work with wasn't rude, short, but not rude.

When my collection rolled off, I actually called her back and asked if 40% option was still available and paid another collection. I'm assuming you work with the same person, or department each time because they transfer everytime I call in.

I will warn it took the full 30 days to delete, I believe. Maybe that is between the time to remove and the time for Equifax to update but I began to get worried, and was told to wait it out when I called in to confirm. I'll keep you posted with my update as they come. 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

👍
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

DO NOT PAY 3rd party collectors!!! Ask them to verify the account first. The burden of proof is on them to prove they have the proper paerwork to collect from you. You will be surprise that most don't and they feed off our ignorance of the law to make money. Send them a Debt Validation letter asking for proof...such as a sign contract or in your case the signed HIPPA release form.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.