cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still paying for my old mistakes....

Highlighted
New Visitor

Still paying for my old mistakes....

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum thing so please bare with me. I'm 23 years old and for the last 4 years I've been very active in keeping track of my credit behavior. When I was 18, I did the typical young adult thing and made the rash decision to finance my first vehicle. It was a used, old junk box that I paid $5,000 for. Well, after 4 months I traded it in for a newer, nicer model (financed). Well, I clearly could not afford the car and after about a year of late payments, the repo man came a-knockin'.(This is now 2005) A few weeeks later, the bank sent me a notice to pay the remaining balance of roughly $5,000. Well after some bickering and fighting, mostly from me, we settled for just over half the amount. I have 2 letters that were sent to me from the bank and the collection agency confirming that it was indeed paid and settled. I pulled my credit the other day and to much surprise, all the information had been updated and all the dates were incorrect. All the bureau reports state that I still owe this money. It comes up as delinquent. What should I do? I obviously paid this off! Any input would be greatly appreciated. HELP!!!!!!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Still paying for my old mistakes....

yolee wrote:
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum thing so please bare with me. I'm 23 years old and for the last 4 years I've been very active in keeping track of my credit behavior. When I was 18, I did the typical young adult thing and made the rash decision to finance my first vehicle. It was a used, old junk box that I paid $5,000 for. Well, after 4 months I traded it in for a newer, nicer model (financed). Well, I clearly could not afford the car and after about a year of late payments, the repo man came a-knockin'.(This is now 2005) A few weeeks later, the bank sent me a notice to pay the remaining balance of roughly $5,000. Well after some bickering and fighting, mostly from me, we settled for just over half the amount. I have 2 letters that were sent to me from the bank and the collection agency confirming that it was indeed paid and settled. I pulled my credit the other day and to much surprise, all the information had been updated and all the dates were incorrect. All the bureau reports state that I still owe this money. It comes up as delinquent. What should I do? I obviously paid this off! Any input would be greatly appreciated. HELP!!!!!!

Who is reporting? The bank or CA?

If the account is showing unpaid and you have paid it, dispute it as "paid". Is it on all three reports? You can dispute online, fax, or mail.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free Annual Reports, Freq. Requested Threads, 5 Things We Don't Talk About, Common Abbreviations, Where do I start?, State Resources
Message 2 of 4
Highlighted
New Visitor

I don't really know who is reporting it! I mean, wouldn't the bank stop when they pass it on to the collection agency? It says Sovereign Bank not whatever the collector...so i guess it's the bank. I tried to report the issues online but it made me print out a letter and mail it with any proof I may have. Does that sound right to anyone???

Thanks
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Moderator Emeritus

yolee wrote:
I don't really know who is reporting it! I mean, wouldn't the bank stop when they pass it on to the collection agency? It says Sovereign Bank not whatever the collector...so i guess it's the bank. I tried to report the issues online but it made me print out a letter and mail it with any proof I may have. Does that sound right to anyone???

Thanks

Are you talking about trying to dispute through here?

Go to each CRA website directly. Experian you need a report #. TransUnion will give you a repot to use for disputing and I deal with CSC(instead of Equifax) and I can dispute without report.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free Annual Reports, Freq. Requested Threads, 5 Things We Don't Talk About, Common Abbreviations, Where do I start?, State Resources
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.