Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store Card after Chapter 7 bankruptcy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Store Card after Chapter 7 bankruptcy

Looking for a good store card to try for after Chapter 7. I discharged in February. I have a Fingerhut account, but the prices are so high, they have ungodly interest, and high shipping prices. So we pay 2x as much as we could get the same product elsewhere. Anyway. I'm thinking of the Amazon Secured card but not sure if Synchrony (the bank that backs the card) is bankruptcy friendly. Anyone got this after bankruptcy? I got a self lender, discover, and Fingerhut right after. I recently got an Ollo cc and an auto loan. Looking to close Fingerhut for a better card. Walmart and JC penny are also backed by synchrony. Kohl's is backed by capital one who denied me even for a secured card so I don't think I could get that one. And Kroger is backed by US bank who apparently has a hard 5 year rule when it comes to bankruptcy.
13 REPLIES 13
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: Store Card after Chapter 7 bankruptcy

I would not open a bunch of store cards.

Look at prequals for Cap One and Discover.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would just stay the course as you are now. Wait until you hit the one-year post discharge date and then try the prequals at Citi and CapOne. You have enough accounts for now. I don’t know where your balances stand but use the time between now and February 2020 to get into what we call AZEO, all zero except one (tons of info if you search the forum). Then, after the anniversary of discharge, pick up a new card from a major bank and close Fingerhut.

You already have a good card in Discover - tend it well. I’m assuming it’s secured, and if so, proper maintenance will allow it to graduate to unsecured, often with a CLI. Keep that and get one of the two I mentioned. Six months later you can try for another, which by then likely could be an unsecured good card, and you can get rid of Ollo. After that, maintain properly and sky’s the limit!
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

BTW, Walmart has now transitioned to CapOne, no longer with Synchrony, and they’re doing their typical triple hard pulls even for the store card, so I’d think long and hard whether that’s really worth it. My opinion is you’re much better using your HPs for legit bank cards.
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

To be clear I am not trying for a bunch of store cards. I only want one, that I will use with everyday purchases, and close Fingerhut. The ones I mentioned are places I shop regularly. I only want one though. I don't think I'll qualify for anything backed by capital one since they won't even give me a secured card. I don't think I'll qualify for one backed by US bank. I mentioned them because they are popular places I DONT think I'll get approved, so I won't even try for those.

Also I keep my utilization very low. My FICO when I applied for Ollo a few weeks ago was 667.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Replace Fingerhut with ONE different store card* cancel Fingerhut
Message 6 of 14
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Honestly I'd hold off on any new accounts. Let them age some. Reason why is..."I got a self lender, discover, and Fingerhut right after. I recently got an Ollo cc and an auto loan."  Thats 5 accounts since Feb and should do for a while. If recently was in the past couple months or less. Wait at least 6 months before any more moves. You have plenty for now. Since you have a car loan now. The self lender will help with payment history and thats about it. FICO rebuild stages you only need 1 installment loan. Now the auto loan is your main loan for the next how many months you got it for. Each new account hits your reports and drops your scores a bit. It takes time to get back that was taken away from you each time a new account is opened. Let these age and let time do its thing. JMO I'd wait until next year for that store card and let your rebuild work in your favor. Good Luck!

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sigh, that makes me sad. Yeah, I had no intention of getting an auto loan. That's why I initially got self lender. I bought an older car outright but had total engine failure within 2 months. Fingerhut kills me. Like the bake ware set I want on Fingerhut is $159.99 + $12.99 shipping. Plus interest if I don't pay the card all the way up. Meanwhile, on Amazon the same set is $69.99 no shipping. That's a 100% mark up. It's ridiculous. I have a high CL with them so $170 is less than 10%, they have given me 4 automatic raises already but I just hate them so much. I pay all my cards off every month except this one because I HATE to keep buying things that are marked up 100%+. I'm almost down to a $0 balence so I'll need to get something to keep it open and active. I can pay off my self lender and I'm thinking of doing so since I have the auto loan. Just haven't.
Message 8 of 14
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

You dont have to kep buying overpriced stuff to keep Fingerhut open. Let you in on a little secret. In the past over 4 yrs since my DC I havent paid 1 red cent in interest. If you see something you like that would cause you to pay interest. Throw the $ in a savings account. Once you hit what you need to get what you wanted. Then charge it knowing you got the funds to pay for it. You get cash back. And as I say on here. You make a profit from the cash back. You dont lose your profit paying interest. Let the banks pay you for using their card. Dont pay them for using the card. Why have a cash back card and what you earn goes back to pay interest? Make sense? Profit gone. Fingerhut can be closed since you got Disco and Ollo. It will still report as a positive account for the next 10yrs. Then say happy new year. And get the store card that you'll get rewarded for using. Good Luck!

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can just keep Fingerhut open and buy some socks every 4 months or something. That should be enough. You have a Discover It and a Ollo card—they can be used anywhere. 

I hesitate to recommend this because I don't think you need to get it, but an Overstock card would be better than Fingerhut. Overstock was my first unsecured card after my credit meltdown. (Which was bad, but not bankruptcy.) I bought the aforementioned socks through Overstock for a good price. To keep the card active I use it once in a while on some small thing that I actually can use and isn't overpriced. Not everything at Overstock is to my liking, but it's no Fingerhut, that's for sure. Overstock (from Comenity bank) also can be generous with CLIs. Not sure how Comenity feels about bankruptcy, though. I don't think they're picky, however—they took me! Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.