Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store Cards Closed, Credit dropped

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Store Cards Closed, Credit dropped

Hi,

So as the title reads, 2 of my store cards closed due to inactivity. My credit score dropped 25 points.

Right now, I have 1 active Store Card, Discover Secure and OpenSky card.

My credit score was 595 but jumped 670 due to me paying off bills.

I'm currently trying to improve my credit score to buy a home, lease a new car and eventually get into better cards than OpenSky.

Will it be a good idea to reapply for the store cards to help with my debt to credit ratio?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Store Cards Closed, Credit dropped

Were any of the 2 one of your oldest cards?

What was the balances on the cards you have now. If its high util. You lost the buffer that kept your util % down.

You have 3 cards. More credit doesnt mean higher scores. Any installments?

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

They were both 2 of my oldest cards. When I decided to fix my credit I didnt have any cards at the time outside of my debit card, at that time I got 3 store cards and the open sky. That was like 2 yrs ago.

Balances on the current cards are low. Discover has a $200 limit and my balance is about $10 - Same with Open Sky and my store card is zero balance right now. When you say installments, what do you mean by that?

Message 3 of 7
BmoreBull
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

They were both 2 of my oldest cards. When I decided to fix my credit I didnt have any cards at the time outside of my debit card, at that time I got 3 store cards and the open sky. That was like 2 yrs ago.

Balances on the current cards are low. Discover has a $200 limit and my balance is about $10 - Same with Open Sky and my store card is zero balance right now. When you say installments, what do you mean by that?

He's talking about any kind of loans. Car, mortgage, student, secured. Do you have any installment loans to help with your credit mix?

Starting Fico Scores:November 2019

Current Fico Scores: January 6, 2021
Goal Scores: 700 across all three
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah! I see, no installments at this time.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay off one of the two cards that has a balance. Let the other report its balance. This is called AZEO, all zero except one. It should be good for a quick 10-20 points.

Message 6 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If you can get in with NFCU and grab a SSL and pay it down to 8% and then $1 a month for 5 yrs. Theres your installment gains. If not Self will work until paid off. Or if there is a auto nloan in the future. Same thing but you dont have to pay it down. Need some type of installment to complete your credit mix.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.