Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Equifax communication regarding reporting process

tag
daddiggingout
Regular Contributor

Strange Equifax communication regarding reporting process

I talked to equifax today to open an investigation on five old items and the customer svc agent said she didnt understand why I wasn't dealing directly with the collection agencies that held my old debt.  I told her that I expected Equifax to challenge the items as not mine, paid and one for reporting an erroneous last activity date.  I told her that because Equifax is reporting this as negative information that she needed to verify that the debt was legit and she told me that this is not the case.  What she actually said was "we can not know for sure, we only know what the collection agency tells us..."  At that point I said that I would want proof of signed contracts and she told me if I wanted that to get a lawyer and sue the OC!!  Is this simply a case of a naive underpaid phone rep - seriously, she told me that they only go by what the CA parrots back.  When I told her this was not how the law works she seemed to get testy and added that she would make notes on my file.  All this for challenging five items.  Did I overstep challenging all of my bad TL on the first go?  The agent said something about the number of disputes, but one is the same debt reporting three times separately - this did not seem excessive but now I am wondering if she will write the lot off as frivolous given that she commented on how many I challenged.  Has anyone had deletes after an awkward phone call?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Strange Equifax communication regarding reporting process

If the credit agency performed its required validation task, then it has fulfilled its lagal obligation. Your beef is with the entity claiming that you owe that debt ... not with the reportiing agency.

Message 2 of 5
daddiggingout
Regular Contributor

Actually me issue is with the fact that the agent stated that the investigation does not verify the legitimacy of the TL.  By law, the CRAs are not allowed to simply take an electronic nod as confirmation, but rather MUST verify authenticity.  Therefore, being told that they do not do what is legally necessary leaves me to have an issue with the CRA itself.

Message 3 of 5
seruby
Frequent Contributor

The CRAs do go by what is given to them.   If you dispute something and it comes back verified, send the CRA a MOV letter, then they have to tell you the process they used to verify the information was correct.   I believe they have 30 days to investigate, and then 5 more to respond to you.    At that point, you could potentially hold them liable for FCRA violations.

Message 4 of 5
daddiggingout
Regular Contributor

Thanks Seruby.  I made it very clear that I would be questioning MOV if they returned as verified and she said that I should take it up with the CA.  I do think this is simply an issue of a new poorly informed agent, but boy do they make it more frustrating than it needs to be.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.