Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange credit report entry and validation letter response

tag
brindle26
Regular Contributor

Strange credit report entry and validation letter response

Two questions, first question.
I sent a validation of account letter to First Premier Bank and got a reply back from Jefferson Capital Systems LLC (not a word from FPB).  They offered me $225.44 off of a $748.44 debt and an Emblem Master Card. Have never once heard from First Premier Bank and they charged off the debt on 1/31/2009.
Why didn’t I get validation of account from FPB and did they now after all these years sell the debt to Jefferson Capital Systems?
Is this a legit offer I should respond to, should I wait for validation from FPB?

Second question
We applied for a mortgage with Wells Fargo on the 25th of Jan. and that showed up on our credit reports. Strangely though what also showed was a hard pull for credit from Southland Acquisitions. This one had a date of the 29th of Jan. Never heard of Southland Acquisitions and we did not apply for credit with anyone but Wells Fargo Mortgage.

I’m not sure how to deal with these two. I have 14 other Validation, GW or PFD letters sent out so this is overloading me with confusion.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Strange credit report entry and validation letter response

You can't send the OC a DV letter.  Those are specifically for 3rd party collection agencies.  Did Jefferson respond to the DV or just send an offer?  If they did not validate, send them a DV.

Send Southland a DV also. 

Message 2 of 9
brindle26
Regular Contributor

Jefferson didn't respond to the DV letter only sent an offer. The debt is owed. I only sent the DV to get some accurate numbers.

The offer is legit then?

Message 3 of 9
chasmith
Valued Contributor

Creditors, especial;ly of the3 scumbag variety, buy a service from the CRAs that tells them when a mortgage application inquiry is made.  I'm not sure whether even "opting out" with the CRAs can prevent this, although many people advise opting out of offers before starting a mortgage application.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 9
brindle26
Regular Contributor

Right afer we applied for a mortgage my wife got a strange phone call left on voice mail. Sounded like a send me money scam so told her to delete it. Then a few days later Southland showed up on CR. I think it's bogus. We have no new debt since 2009 and other than the secured cards and mortgage have not applied for any new credit.

Don't know if I should complain to the FTC, file a dispute with the credit bureaus or just forget it and stay focused on the other 14 things I'm working on.

If you all here say Jefferson is legit I'll work with them.

Message 5 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@brindle26 wrote:

Right afer we applied for a mortgage my wife got a strange phone call left on voice mail. Sounded like a send me money scam so told her to delete it. Then a few days later Southland showed up on CR. I think it's bogus. We have no new debt since 2009 and other than the secured cards and mortgage have not applied for any new credit.

Don't know if I should complain to the FTC, file a dispute with the credit bureaus or just forget it and stay focused on the other 14 things I'm working on.

If you all here say Jefferson is legit I'll work with them.

I wouldn't know if Jefferson is legit or not.  They are junk debt buyers and have their fair share of complaints against them.  They have also been sued by the FTC.  To play it safe, send them a DV letter and see what becomes of it.  You can ask specifically for the OC and the OC address if you want to make sure it is for the same debt as FP.

Message 6 of 9
brindle26
Regular Contributor

Good advise.

Message 7 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

All that is required of a debt collector in order to report is that they have legitimate collection authority.  The consumer is not privy to whatever assignment may have been made.  The same for inquiries.  They have a permissible purpose if they have collection authority, either by way of assignment from the creditor or purchase of the debt. 

Their dunning notice is their statement of such authority.  I would assume their legitimacy.

Your account agreement with the OC and their prior billing constitutes their assertion of legitimate debt, and thus an OC is not covered under the debt validation procedures of the FDCPA.  You can always request verification from an OC, but it is your informal request to them, and does not invoke any provisions of the FDCPA, which applies only to debt collectors.  They have no requirement to respond.

Message 8 of 9
brindle26
Regular Contributor

Thanks RobertEG

I wasn't aware of this. My focus has been on CA's and not this one OC. Any thoughts on the Southland hint?

Think for now I'll forget it and concentrate on getting some medicals removed, PFD, from my wife's CR.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.