cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange issue with old DTV account, new CA just hit my Experian

Estimate your FICO® Score range for free

FICO® Score Estimator

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Valued Member

Strange issue with old DTV account, new CA just hit my Experian

Hello, I am currently rebuilding and just noticed a new CA on my Ex and Tu for an old DirecTV account that closed two and a half years ago. I called IC Systems (I recorded the call) and spoke with an agent. She was very friendly and helpful, but after about 15 minutes of searching for me every way she could think of, she couldn't find me. Her final advice was to call DTV but I have not yet done that. 


My question is, should I call DTV to reconcile this or should I just dispute the item with Ex and Tu?

 

Thanks in advance for any and all advice. 

 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Strange issue with old DTV account, new CA just hit my Experian


@User1072839 wrote:

Hello, I am currently rebuilding and just noticed a new CA on my Ex and Tu for an old DirecTV account that closed two and a half years ago. I called IC Systems (I recorded the call) and spoke with an agent. She was very friendly and helpful, but after about 15 minutes of searching for me every way she could think of, she couldn't find me. Her final advice was to call DTV but I have not yet done that. 


My question is, should I call DTV to reconcile this or should I just dispute the item with Ex and Tu?

 

Thanks in advance for any and all advice. 

 


Hi and welcome 

 

The question here is, do you owe Direct TV money?  

I am not sure what you mean by closed account. Was it charged off? 

EX 753 EQ 773 TU 752
Message 2 of 15
Valued Member

Re: Strange issue with old DTV account, new CA just hit my Experian

Thanks for your reply.

 

I had an account with them up until about the end of 16. There is a good chance that I left a balance with them but I cannot swear to it (bad few years). So to answer your question, it is very possible that the debt is legit. I just found it odd that IC Systems put a collections on my report but when I called them, they cannot find me? Since they cannot find me, my thinking is that if I dispute, they will have to remove because the debt is apperantly not in their system. 

 

My goal is to get this off of my credit reports. If I have to pay the money so be it. But if I do pay it, there is no gaurantee that it will be removed. If I dispute right now and IC cannot validate the debt, they will have no choice but to delete from the CBs. Thanks for your advice.  

 

 

Message 3 of 15
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Strange issue with old DTV account, new CA just hit my Experian


@User1072839 wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

 

I had an account with them up until about the end of 16. There is a good chance that I left a balance with them but I cannot swear to it (bad few years). So to answer your question, it is very possible that the debt is legit. I just found it odd that IC Systems put a collections on my report but when I called them, they cannot find me? Since they cannot find me, my thinking is that if I dispute, they will have to remove because the debt is apperantly not in their system. 

 

My goal is to get this off of my credit reports. If I have to pay the money so be it. But if I do pay it, there is no gaurantee that it will be removed. If I dispute right now and IC cannot validate the debt, they will have no choice but to delete from the CBs. Thanks for your advice.  

 

 


 

Your first step should be to contact Direct TV and find out who currently has the authority to collect on this debt.

If they just started reporting, there is a chance you were told wrong by CSR.

Disputing without being certain they do not have authority to collect on this debt can return with debt validation and your scores will suffer as a result. 

I am not sure how Direct TV handles it, but you may want to check with them and see if they are willing to pull this account from CA in exchange for payment. 

 

 

 

EX 753 EQ 773 TU 752
Message 4 of 15
Valued Member

Re: Strange issue with old DTV account, new CA just hit my Experian

Hello everyone, this Friday will be one month since I settled this account with IC System. When I called to settle and discuss PFD they agreed to it (I recorded the call). My question is, I've read other's success stories with PFD and this CA. The boilerplate seems to be 30-45 days for it to be removed from the CRAs. The people that have reported success have said that it was removed between a couple days to a couple weeks. So if it's still there Friday should I take any action? If so what? 

 

As always thanks for the advice.

Message 5 of 15
Senior Contributor

Re: Strange issue with old DTV account, new CA just hit my Experian

Ride it out a little longer. Dont push any buttons yet to have them reneg on the deal.





My posts are JMHO. I DO NOT claim to be a FICO expert. Just sharing my experiences from rebuild to recovery after BK DC. My siggy is not to brag at all. Just to show fellow members what can be accomplished when you do it right and play the FICO Credit Game.
Message 6 of 15
Valued Member

Re: Strange issue with old DTV account, new CA just hit my Experian


@FireMedic1 wrote:

Ride it out a little longer. Dont push any buttons yet to have them reneg on the deal.


Makes sense. Thanks

Message 7 of 15
Valued Member

Re: Strange issue with old DTV account, new CA just hit my Experian

So I just passed the 30 day mark since I paid this off (for less than full balance) and it hasn't been deleted from the CRAs. Both DTV and IC Systems told me it would be within 30, what's my next move?

Message 8 of 15
Senior Contributor

Re: Strange issue with old DTV account, new CA just hit my Experian

As you posted earlier. 30-45 days they said. Its only been 30 days. I know its hard to wait. But just hold on and hope its deleted. Good things come to those who wait.





My posts are JMHO. I DO NOT claim to be a FICO expert. Just sharing my experiences from rebuild to recovery after BK DC. My siggy is not to brag at all. Just to show fellow members what can be accomplished when you do it right and play the FICO Credit Game.
Message 9 of 15
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Strange issue with old DTV account, new CA just hit my Experian

Like FireMedic said, wait.
Quite possibly the worst thing you can do is dispute now.
Waiting is not fun, but that account has been on your CR for a whole lot longer than 45 days.
Waiting additional 3 weeks wont hurt you
EX 753 EQ 773 TU 752
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.