Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strangest Call - T-Mobile Garnishment Threat

tag
someone379
Regular Contributor

Strangest Call - T-Mobile Garnishment Threat

So I just had the strangest set of calls I've ever had...

The first call was from someone letting me know that I am apparently being served some papers tomorrow, could not tell me much except that they are from a Bert & Adelman Associates (spelling?).    The guy claimes to serve papers for the local courts but could not even pernounce my employeer name correctly (which is odd if he is in the area since it's one of the largest in the city and everyone knows who it is).  

I called the number that he gave me (855-257-0151) and talked to some B**ch that was not only very rude but told me the papers being served are a garnishment notice. I stated that's not possible as I have never been served to appear in court.  She goes on to state that they don't have to goto court and that because they sent me a 45 day notice to object they could now garnish  my wages (which I know is BS).   The address they sent these notices to a few months ago is not my current address, however they seemed to have no issue knowing my current address now, as well as my employer.    On top of all of this, they stated that they would put this line item back on my credit report.   This line item is one that is VERY OLD, one that I disputed as I never had a t-mobile account many years ago, and one that even if it was legit is well past any SOL.

I am just amazed at these people... I am interested to see what "gets served" to me tomorrow.   Has anyone had this happen before?    It was especially odd as they didnt ask me to settle or anything, something I was half way expecting.

Starting Score: EQ 503 TU 478" "Current Scores: EQ >750 TU >750 EX >750
IHG (19k) | Discover IT (18k) | BCE (14.5k) | SPG (14k) | CashForward (7.5) | Citi DC (6k) | TE (5.5k) | Marriott (5k) | Citi Best Buy (5k) | Amz VISA (3k) | BofA Cash Rewards (4.5k) | FNBO 6.25% AMEX (2.3k) | Amz Store (CLOSED) | QS1 ($1.6k)
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Hokies2379
Established Contributor

Re: Strangest Call - T-Mobile Garnishment Threat

sadly, I get these calls from time to time on old, old, old, old debts. (all but one of which were actually paid.)  It's funny because I've lived in several states the last 10 years and it's always funny when I ask them which courthouse to meet at and it's in a state I haven't lived in during this decade.

Message 2 of 27
someone379
Regular Contributor

I asked the guy if I could pick up the papers, insisted they must be delivered... 

Lady on the phone was a hoot.  She threatened me with various things the whole call, ended it with "We'll show you what the law allows" and hung up... This after I told her to shut the f up because she would not let me talk and kept interupting me every time I said something.   I just can't believe they would sit there telling me that this bull debt would show back up on my credit and that they could garnish my wages without going to court.

Oh, and supposedly the ganishment amount now is $3076.70 + $3200 in legal fees.... That is one heck of a T-Mobile bill!    I would love to see these idiots in court if they try to actually take me to court.

I am very much at a loss as to what their angle is here, if they were trying to scam money by making empty threats they would have said we can settle this by making a payment blah blah, I just don't understand what the end game is in this case.

IHG (19k) | Discover IT (18k) | BCE (14.5k) | SPG (14k) | CashForward (7.5) | Citi DC (6k) | TE (5.5k) | Marriott (5k) | Citi Best Buy (5k) | Amz VISA (3k) | BofA Cash Rewards (4.5k) | FNBO 6.25% AMEX (2.3k) | Amz Store (CLOSED) | QS1 ($1.6k)
Message 3 of 27
Hokies2379
Established Contributor

unfortunately I've never let it get far enough to find out what their end game is.  I'm sure to scare you enough to pay them as much as you can, just like the rest of the scammers...er..um....collection agencies.

Message 4 of 27
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It is a direct and explixit violation of the FDCPA to state that legal action has been taken when it has not.

See FDCPA 807.

I would file a formal complaint with the CFPB over their violation of the FDCPA.

Message 5 of 27
someone379
Regular Contributor

The plot thickens 

I just got an email from my companies payroll dept. 

they stated that they got a call from the Johnson and Parker law firm, they apparently informed them that they will be sending a garnishment to my payroll dept. and that I can contact them directly at 855-422-9321 (ask for Monica or Angela).    My payroll dept has not received any order.   I informed them to tread cafefully as this does not pass the sniff test (i.e. no court documents at all, no judgements that I am aware of)

These people are seriously pissing me off, but it seems that I may have a case to sue them back at this point if they keep this up.

Message 6 of 27
Hokies2379
Established Contributor

Oh screw that.  That would be my breaking point right there.  You don't screw with my job.

Message 7 of 27
someone379
Regular Contributor

@MANNING2379 wrote:

Oh screw that.  That would be my breaking point right there.  You don't screw with my job.

You could say my blood pressure has gone up a bit in the past few minutes....   I am very confused by this whole thing, has anyone ever had this happen to them?   

Message 8 of 27
Hokies2379
Established Contributor

I've never had it go this far, no.  The only garnishment/levy I've ever had, I found out the day my bank account was drained.  They typically don't give you a head's up on that.  Wish I had more advice to offer, but I will definitely be watching this thread.  Good luck.

Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you Google  855-422-9321 you find other people with similar stories to yours... Sounds like it could be a scam.

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.