Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strangest Call - T-Mobile Garnishment Threat

tag
someone379
Regular Contributor

Re: Strangest Call - T-Mobile Garnishment Threat

Just thought I would update this thread for what should be the last update...

The update is that nothing new happened since my last post.  I have not heard anything new from them, of course there was no papers to deliver, and all is well.  

The strangest thing about this is that they NEVER asked me for payment, not once.  I guess maybe they figured that with all the threats and the call to my HR dept. that I would call them shaking in my boots begging to let me pay them to stop?   I dunno.

Anyway, these guys are getting very good.  I could see some people being taken by a group like this, someone who was not as knowledgeable about credit and the laws that protect the consumer may have felt they had no better action than send some money.   These people make me very angry and I hope that karma comes to bite them hard.

Starting Score: EQ 503 TU 478" "Current Scores: EQ >750 TU >750 EX >750
IHG (19k) | Discover IT (18k) | BCE (14.5k) | SPG (14k) | CashForward (7.5) | Citi DC (6k) | TE (5.5k) | Marriott (5k) | Citi Best Buy (5k) | Amz VISA (3k) | BofA Cash Rewards (4.5k) | FNBO 6.25% AMEX (2.3k) | Amz Store (CLOSED) | QS1 ($1.6k)
Message 21 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used to get those calls once in a while - even called my employer - fortunately I was the one who answered the phone (and I work at a law firm).

I just contacted the local county court - where they would have had to file suit or registered a garnishment - and there was nothing on file under mine or my husband's names - so I just let it drop.  One of the attorneys in the office said if they called again to give him the call and he would take care of it for me.   Fortunately they never called again.

Message 22 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good that they went away and are now leaving you alone.

I know you feel the same way, but I was really hoping to see a blood spatter against the wall with them

Cheer up.  I know you're lonely now, but you might get a call from the good folks at the 'Windows Support Center' needing to check your computer for  'bad things' sending error messages out on the Internet.  They can fix it for you, but you have to get a pre-paid Green Dot debit card and give them the numbers, they have locked down your pc and are holding it for ransom.

Message 23 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Good that they went away and are now leaving you alone.

I know you feel the same way, but I was really hoping to see a blood spatter against the wall with them

Cheer up.  I know you're lonely now, but you might get a call from the good folks at the 'Windows Support Center' needing to check your computer for  'bad things' sending error messages out on the Internet.  They can fix it for you, but you have to get a pre-paid Green Dot debit card and give them the numbers, they have locked down your pc and are holding it for ransom.

I remember getting one of these calls earlier this year - I answer the phone and this guys ays "Hi I'm from Dell Suport, calling about your computer..." and I said "I don't own a Dell computer" (all my machines are custom built by me), then he backtracks and says "well we are not part of Dell, we are a subcontractor, and we've been getting error messages from your computer..." I cut him off with "No, you're not." and I hung up. Never heard back.

Message 24 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, after about the third or fourth call to hijack my computer and hold it for ransom, I let the guy with the accent lead me thru using the ctrl+run keys to connect to the internet and to a 'remote access site' so he could take it over.

Then I went quiet and he kept asking me what was on my screen, it should have connected me.  I said nothing on screen and he repeated the steps again.  Again, what is on screen, it should have connected you.

After a few long seconds, I told him, 'Well, I NEVER connect to the Internet for anything at all.  Its way too dangerous.'. 

He became furious and cursed me out and tried to tell me what he was going to do to all of the female members of my family to shame me.    I had a very deep and satisfying laugh as he sputtered away, and was still laughing as he hung up.

On other calls, I have also said I had a Chrome Book and an Apple computer and they never seem to miss a beat, they can hold anything for ransom.

Message 25 of 27
alienfico
Frequent Contributor

I received similar harrassing calls....some came from Omaha, some from NYC, some from Atlanta, and others from Michigan....clearly places where I knew one.

I just blocked them, and eventually they stopped harrassing me.  Scary to think that people actually fall for this and even sadder  

to think that there are people who make a living off of scaring individuals out of their money.

Starting: TU:515, EX:521, EQ:528
Current: TU:700 EX:706 EQ:674
FICO Goal: 725
Cap1 Venture $11,000AU, First Progress $500, Cap1 QS $1750, FH$600, Open Sky $300, Cap1 $500, BestBuy $1500 Target $1800
Message 26 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, after about the third or fourth call to hijack my computer and hold it for ransom, I let the guy with the accent lead me thru using the ctrl+run keys to connect to the internet and to a 'remote access site' so he could take it over.

Then I went quiet and he kept asking me what was on my screen, it should have connected me.  I said nothing on screen and he repeated the steps again.  Again, what is on screen, it should have connected you.

After a few long seconds, I told him, 'Well, I NEVER connect to the Internet for anything at all.  Its way too dangerous.'. 

He became furious and cursed me out and tried to tell me what he was going to do to all of the female members of my family to shame me.    I had a very deep and satisfying laugh as he sputtered away, and was still laughing as he hung up.

On other calls, I have also said I had a Chrome Book and an Apple computer and they never seem to miss a beat, they can hold anything for ransom.

LOL - I've thought about doing that if they call again.

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.