Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Delinquent Payments Time-frame for Removal

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loan Delinquent Payments Time-frame for Removal

I have a general question for anyone with experience regarding late payments on student loans in the past. I have (3) of them showing up on my credit report, keeping me out of the verygood to excellent range. I've read that they are typcially removed after 7 years, but all 3 of mine are beyond, or very nearly beyond, that time-frame and still on my report.  The dates are below:

June 2011 (7 years this month)

November 2009 (8+ years) 

November 2008 (9+ years)

I have been working with, and paying, Lexington Law to get these removed for over a year now, without success. Any ideas or recommendations on how to proceed from someone with a similar situation or experience? Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

Re: Student Loan Delinquent Payments Time-frame for Removal

What type of loans are these? Federal or private? If federal, what type of federal - Stafford, Perkins, PLUS, etc?

EX 8: Aug 2021 - 692 | EQ 8: Aug 2021 - 714 | TU 8: Aug 2021 - 673
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 of the loans are "Stafford Unsubsidized" and 1 is a "Direct Loan Unsubsidized"

Message 3 of 4
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

Weird.

Are these loans paid off?

So, some federal student loans have provisions that require reporting of all lates until either the loans are paid off or until the lates are 7 years old, whichever is later (I think). This policy is a matter of law (Higher Education Act) and there is really no getting around it with goodwill letters, disputes, etc. However, I thought the only loans subject to this policy were Perkins loans but now I'm not sure. (I'm hoping Stafford loans are not subject to this policy as I have Stafford loans with numerous lates and it's going to take me forever to pay them off.)

TL;DR: You might be wasting your money with Lexington Law.

EX 8: Aug 2021 - 692 | EQ 8: Aug 2021 - 714 | TU 8: Aug 2021 - 673
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.