cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Forgiveness for disabled co-signer?

tag
Madyun1982
Regular Contributor

Student Loan Forgiveness for disabled co-signer?

I co-signed for a student loan back in 2003, and I'm now disabled. Does anyone know if I would qualify for student loan forgiveness even though I'm just the co-signer? I've been having a hard time keeping up with the payments, and it's affecting my score. The person that I co-signed for has left it up to me to pay, Being that I actually care about my credit and he doesn't. Any information regarding this matter would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student Loan Forgiveness for disabled co-signer?

Read this PDF: https://ifap.ed.gov/eannouncements/attachments/091010GATPDDischargeAssignProcAppxVI.pdf

I don't know what a cosignor is called when it comes to student loans.  Are you an endorser?  If so:

"If the endorser becomes totally and permanently disabled, the endorser may be released from the obligation to repay the debt. However, the amount of the debt does not change. The borrower remains responsible for the entire loan. "

Are you a PLUS co-borrower or joint borrower?  If so, read those areas.

FWIW I've never had a student loan so this text may not apply to you.  I'd at least review it and see if you can qualify through some of the methods listed.

Message 2 of 4
Madyun1982
Regular Contributor

Thank you.. I'll read into the info you shared

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The Higher Education Act has numerous sub-parts that address each of the many different federally insured or guaranteed student loans, with details of any forgiveness or income-based repayment provisions that apply separately to each type of loan.

I would suggest reviewing a copy of the Higher Education Act, focusing on the specific type of loan that is in effect.

Some types of fed student loans are income based in their provisions, while others are not.

The Act is very detailed and often confusing, so if still uncertain, I would contact the Dept of Ed for their guidance.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.