Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Question

tag
fixmycred14
Established Contributor

Student Loan Question

Hello All,

Why are my student loans with the US Dept of Education listed under negative accounts? They were consolidated and taken over by another lender. They are not in default or past due. What can I do to correct the negative impact to my credit score?

Also, if consolidated why are they listed out one by one? It's the same lender....the loans make my CRs voluminous. Twenty five loans listed out.

Starting Score: FICO TU 591 FICO EX 581 FICO EQ 555
Current Score: FICO TU 662 FICO EX 652 FICO EQ 643
Goal Score: 700 CLUB

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge NFCU nRewards $20K Cap1 Secured $500 NFCU LOC $15K TJX $250 BOA $500
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Student Loan Question

What adverse information is listied?

Message 2 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Are there any past lates showing within those TLs? If so, that would be a source of the red flag (assuming you are looking at a FICO report). Also look at the comments within the TLs. Some comments are scored negatively by FICO.

Why different TLs? Because the loans cannot be merged together. The lender has to treat them separately. This is a curse and a blessing. It's a curse because you have more TLs and payments to deal with. Plus you have more TLs reporting which can impact AAoA in the short term. In the long-run they'll help and you'll find they are a score booster as they age.

Message 3 of 7
fixmycred14
Established Contributor

Okay, so now I see..... on my TU CR there are instances of 30/60/90 late.

Since there are 25 in all I had to go through each one. Some say "paid, closed, never late; Deferred; Forbearance or Transferred/Sold

How can I remedy the late payment notations? Each loan that says this has a new lender and $0 balance.

Thanks for educating me!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge NFCU nRewards $20K Cap1 Secured $500 NFCU LOC $15K TJX $250 BOA $500
Message 4 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Send out goodwill letters asking if they wouldn't mind removing the lates.

Message 5 of 7
fixmycred14
Established Contributor

Thanks again for your help.

Message 6 of 7
fixmycred14
Established Contributor

TU is the only CR with the neg payment student loan notations.

Is it worth it to attempt having the notations removed?

Will it cause more harm than good?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.