Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions / Recommendations

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Suggestions / Recommendations

Hello Everyone.

I am new to the site, and I wanted to give my scenario and ask for some suggestions.

My wife and I purchased a home in 2006. We lost it to foreclosure in 2011. We are planning to buy a new home next year at about ths time, so I planned to get our credits looking good between now and then, roughly 13 months.

I pulled my credit today, and my Equifax is the top at around 670. My other two are both 618. Honestly this is mugh higher than I thought it would be.

Positives:

4 student loans all paid off, no lates.

3 auto loans, all paid off, a couple lates.

a few credit cards, all closed, no lates.

1 current secured credit card for 3 years, no lates.

Here are the Negatives:

The foreclosure and negative TL from the loan companies from 2011 is on my credit naturally.

3 collections for very minor amounts, all medical bills I didnt realize I had.

I am planning to pay off the 3 cheap medical bills. Once that is done, then technically the only current thing on my credit will be the secured credit card. Do i get more credit cards?

What i am asking today is for suggestions on how to raise my credit score higher. I dont want to do anything that will be detremental, so I need help! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Pway
Valued Contributor

Re: Suggestions / Recommendations

I would head over to Capital One and visit the pre qual site.  See what the offer you.  I am sure that you should get approved for the QS1 and Platinum.  Having three open accounts is best for maximum fico scoring.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pway wrote:

I would head over to Capital One and visit the pre qual site.  See what the offer you.  I am sure that you should get approved for the QS1 and Platinum.  Having three open accounts is best for maximum fico scoring.

Plus 1!  3 credit cards is best.

I'd app for the QS1 or similar cards, except credit 1. Also. keep in mind if you get denied just call their recon line and keep calling til you get approved!

Message 3 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would suggest attempting to get the collections removed from scoring by offering a pay for deletion.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I plan to send letters to get the 3 negative medical collections removed, with pay for delete.

That brings me to my next question. As I have read that sometimes these collection agencies do not remove the items after agreeing to do so, I am curious if they do not remove them, and the balances drop to a zero, that will negatively affect my score because the date will be made current, correct?

These items are all 2 to 3 years old.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, should mention, that we are looking to purchase a home. Would opening a couple new credit cards to increase score be a good idea at the momnent, or should I just focus on getting rid of the 3 medical collections and see where the score goes from there?

Message 6 of 9
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

If your looking to buy a home in a year from now, definitely open up two more credit cards right now, and then don't open anything until after you get the keys to your new house. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 7 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I plan to send letters to get the 3 negative medical collections removed, with pay for delete.

That brings me to my next question. As I have read that sometimes these collection agencies do not remove the items after agreeing to do so, I am curious if they do not remove them, and the balances drop to a zero, that will negatively affect my score because the date will be made current, correct?

These items are all 2 to 3 years old.

Before contacting the CA's google the HIPAA Letter Process follow it exactly as laid out. If you have problems finding the website or any questions. PM me.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.