cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surprising NAVY FEDERAL LOVE during rebuild.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Surprising NAVY FEDERAL LOVE during rebuild.

A bit of back story. My credit took a tumble a several years ago and for the last 4 years I took the approach of "hide under the bed until the boogie man goes away." As a result my baddies just sat there pulling my score down. I am talking about three repossessions (still haven't fallen off) as well as late student loan payments (more than 120 days on the $120,000 I owe) as well as collection accounts and COUNTLESS inquiries (more than 50 across all three bureaus). Fast forward to the beginning of the summer, I decided enough was enough and I needed to face my situation head on. I joined myFICO and began reading the forum religiously to kick start the rebuild. Because of what I read I decided to repay an old debt I owed to Navy Federal and restart my membership (I did this back in June). I started with a secured card and placed $500 on it. I have been patiently waiting for the 91/3 and it will be here at the end of October. Yesterday afternoon I got the bug to see if I couldn't refinance my current auto loan (which sits at 14.99%). Applied with Navy Federal and waited those torturous 2 hours while it was under review. To my surprise it came back approved with a rate of 5%. I was shocked to say the least. Since there was already a hard pull on my credit I decided to roll the dice and apply for a cash rewards card. I applied at the beginning of September when they said I was prequalified but my application was declined Smiley Sad. I WAS PRETTY POSITIVE I WOULD BE DECLINED but figured "no harm, no foul". For my second surprise of the evening I was immediately approved with a credit limit of 5K. Not a mega limit but definitely larger than my largest historical limit of $600. I think I will now slide back into the garden and nurture my cards for a bit before I roll the dice and apply for my 3rd and final Navy Federal credit card or a CLI. How long should I sit in the garden before I see if I have more seeds to plant from Navy Federal? Anyway I can't overstate how much this forum has helped me as I begin the loooonnnngggg journey to credit health. Some days are discouranging and I am frustrated with the mess I created along with the slow process but...YAY for the wins inbetween. To anyone in the same rebuild boat as me. Stay motivated even when this journey SUCKS and you will become addicted to the progress.

DP: TU (9/2020) 634

EX: (9/2020) 607

EQ: (9/2020) 583 Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Re: Surprising NAVY FEDERAL LOVE during rebuild.

@Anonymous     Congrats on all your Success and keep it up 

Message 2 of 17
LakeLife
Established Contributor

Congrats on your hard work and success!  Navy Federal is fantastic!

Message 3 of 17
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Congrats on the success and continued success to you as well!

Message 4 of 17
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval and refinance!
Message 5 of 17
DebtStinks
Established Contributor

BIG time congrats! That's awesome and proof that what matters MOST to NFCU is how you treat them...even if your past with them hasn't been flawless. Keep up the GREAT work!

NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 (Opened 1/19) - NFCU Platinum $21000 (Opened 1/21) - TTCU Platinum Visa $10000 (Opened 10/18) - Discover $5500 (Opened 11/21) - Barclays View MC $5000 (Opened 1/19) - Capital One Platinum $3500 (Opened 2/19) - Capital One World Elite MC $1000 (Opened 3/21) - Target Store Card $2000 (Opened 10/18) - Floor & Decor Store Card $42500 (Opened 10/18)
Closed - PenFed $35,000 - Cap1 World Elite MC $11,200
Total CL - $115500

CH7 BK Filed 8/1/17 Discharged 11/7/17

Scores as of 2/18/21:

Inquiries Last 12 Months:
Message 6 of 17
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on your successfiesta.gif

Message 7 of 17
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congrats!

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 17
Irv02
Established Contributor

Congratulations on your approvals and keep up the good work!!!  Go Navy!

Message 9 of 17
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

Great success, congrats and best wishes on your continued journey!😃

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.