Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony Bank charge off deletion

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Synchrony Bank charge off deletion

Hi All,

I'll try to condense this. I had a charge off with Synchrony bank Sweetwater for a while. I tried to pay them off in full to have it removed from my report, but they refused so I refused as well. I decided to wait until they sold the debt. I've done this with my sync Amazon/PayPal charge-offs, which were removed after they were sold to PRA. I have paid them both.

This past Friday, Sync updated the balance to $0 and "sold to another lender." I received a letter from them stating they sold the debt to PRA(YAY).

My question is, will Synchrony remove the charge off from my report like they did the other 2 cards? Is this their common practice now? I would love to know since this is my final credit card. It's been a horrible time being at 450, now finally at a 620. I want this to be over so if anyone has insight that would be great! Thank you!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Synchrony Bank charge off deletion

How long ago was this? Never seen any CO's from Sync deleted that I can remember except for @simplegirl  recently. Things have changed greatly over the years. Now? Highly unlikely. Unless it was as recent as your question.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Both in early 2021 when they came off my report. 

Message 3 of 16
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

How long ago was this? Never seen any CO's from Sync deleted that I can remember except for @simplegirl  recently. Things have changed greatly over the years. Now? Highly unlikely. Unless it was as recent as your question.

Mine was in 2019 & was sold to midland before it was paid also the original charge off was from 2017 but I didn't pay anything until 2019

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 4 of 16
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

this is from 2020 https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Synchrony-Bank-Goodwill-Success-CHARGE-OFF-R...

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 5 of 16
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi All,

I'll try to condense this. I had a charge off with Synchrony bank Sweetwater for a while. I tried to pay them off in full to have it removed from my report, but they refused so I refused as well. I decided to wait until they sold the debt. I've done this with my sync Amazon/PayPal charge-offs, which were removed after they were sold to PRA. I have paid them both.

This past Friday, Sync updated the balance to $0 and "sold to another lender." I received a letter from them stating they sold the debt to PRA(YAY).

My question is, will Synchrony remove the charge off from my report like they did the other 2 cards? Is this their common practice now? I would love to know since this  is my final credit card. It's been a horrible time being at 450, now finally at a 620. I want this to be over so if anyone has insight that would be great! Thank you!

To be honest, I think you've gotten lucky. Most OC's don't delete their TL when they sell the debt. They zero it out and report it as sold, but they keep the TL on your reports until the very last minute. As for your question, just because they've done that before, it doesn't mean that's what will happen this time. They may or may not delete their TL. There's no guarantees.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Funny enough, I did some extra digging on my reports on Experian.com. Equifax is now showing PRA as the original creditor. And the Original Creditor field in the other 2 reports show up blank. Crossing fingers.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wanted to update this. I sent a letter of goodwill to Synchrony corporate. Just now I got a call back, and they said it is standard to delete the charge off from the credit report when the debt is sold and mines will come off within the next month or so!! Happy Friday!!!

Message 8 of 16

Could you pm the goodwill letter you used to potentially get this charge off taken off your report? i have a paid one from them from 4 years ago and it wont come off.

Message 9 of 16
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Well congrats. Please post the results once completed. Never seen that one.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.