cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony and Discover after burning them in BK?

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Synchrony and Discover after burning them in BK?

I burned a number of Synchrony cards along with Discover in my BK. How good is their memory? I've read that Discover _might_ let a person in after a short amount of time but... no luck for me yet (6 months after DC). I try once in awhile for the hell of it, my denial letter always says - 

Status of existiing/prior Discover card account. 

Today I checked Synchrony to see if I'd pre-qualify for their Amazon card that they keep putting in front of my face everytime I place an order. They said no. I'll receive the specific reasons in the mail. 

I really don't care if I get these cards now but wondering if they can be on my radar in the future?

Cap 1 we seriously burned in my BK. We're talking a forest fire for them! They are the first company to let me back in. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Synchrony and Discover after burning them in BK?

I'm just shy of 5 years and Discover still won't love me. 

I didn't burn Synchrony but also haven't tried with them.

Message 2 of 14
Jeffster1
Valued Contributor

I IIB Discover and Synchrony, but have never tried to get back in with them. I didn't like them much the first time around. I hear that Discover is hit-and-miss. For some they are forgiving, for others not at all. 

FICO 8 (3/1/24) EX 805 EQ 824 TU 844
FICO 9 (2/17/24) EX 821 EQ 778TU 850
I practice AZEO - NEVER above 1% utilization across all cards.

Current lineup as of 9/23
American Express Gold | American Express Blue Cash Everyday 11K | American Express Blue Cash Preferred 10K I American Express Marriott Bonvoy Bevy 5K I American Express Hilton Honors Surpass 3K I Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa 20K | Kinecta MyPerks Rewards MC 35K | TD Bank Double Up Visa 4K | USBank Platinum Visa 5K | BMO Harris Cash Back MasterCard 12K | Capital One SavorOne MC 3K | Capital One Walmart MC 2K | NFCU Amex 15K | NFCU CashRewards Visa 15K I Citi Best Buy Visa 10K I Macy’s Amex 4K I Bread Financial American Express 8K l AAA Daily Advantage Visa Signature 6K I Wells Fargo BILT World Elite MC 30K I BCU Cash Rewards Visa 8K I Chevron Techron Advantage Visa 2.5K I JCPenney Mastercard $6K I UCLA Wescom CU Rewards Visa 7K I
Message 3 of 14
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I tried Discover's pre-qualification page for their secured card after I posted this. I was denied for that too. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 4 of 14
tebtengri
Contributor

I just posted a similar question although mine was in CO status and I paid that in full via a third party. Hopefully they let me back after some few months 

Message 5 of 14
user365735
Regular Contributor

Amazon secured card? I've tried but synchrony won't even approve me for the secured card.

Message 6 of 14
tebtengri
Contributor

Oh, no. Discover. I forget replies here don't auto quote the post you click reply on.

I owed them $555 charged off back in 2017. Would fall off in a year but 1) want to possibly have a Discover card one day 2) trying to improve my score quickly and it's only $555

Message 7 of 14
OniStringer
Regular Contributor

I was actually able to just get approved for Discover again after burning them in 2016. So 7 years was my timeline apparently. It also was removed my from reports so maybe they go by the normal 7 year timelines that CB's do?

Started with LOW 500s - Actively rebuilding as of early 2019
//
Message 8 of 14
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@OniStringer wrote:

I was actually able to just get approved for Discover again after burning them in 2016. So 7 years was my timeline apparently. It also was removed my from reports so maybe they go by the normal 7 year timelines that CB's do?

You're the second DP I've heard of that seems to have had that approval after 7 years.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 9 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@masscredit wrote:

I burned a number of Synchrony cards along with Discover in my BK. How good is their memory? I've read that Discover _might_ let a person in after a short amount of time but... no luck for me yet (6 months after DC). I try once in awhile for the hell of it, my denial letter always says - 

Status of existiing/prior Discover card account. 

Today I checked Synchrony to see if I'd pre-qualify for their Amazon card that they keep putting in front of my face everytime I place an order. They said no. I'll receive the specific reasons in the mail. 

I really don't care if I get these cards now but wondering if they can be on my radar in the future?

Cap 1 we seriously burned in my BK. We're talking a forest fire for them! They are the first company to let me back in. 

SYNCB will be YEMV and may take a while if IIB, especially for the Lowes and JCP that were IIB.

What did the denial letter state for the Amazon store CC @masscredit?

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.