Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

THEY KEEP SELLING MY BAD DEBT

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

THEY KEEP SELLING MY BAD DEBT

I HAD A FINGER HUT CHARGE CARD IN THE FALL OF 2001.  I WAS NEVER ABLE TO PAY A PAYMENT.  THEY SOLD IT TO MIDLAND SEP 2002.  MIDLAND IS WHAT IS SHOWING UP ON MY CREDIT REPORT.  NOW I HAVE BEEN OFFERED A SETTLEMENT FROM ANOTHER CA- ENHANCED RECOVERY.  I LIVE IN KY AND MY SOL ON CREDIT CARDS IS 5 YEARS, WHICH WOULD MEAN THAT THE SOL IS OVER.  SO DO THE CA'S HAVE A RIGHT TO KEEP REPORTING THIS? 
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: THEY KEEP SELLING MY BAD DEBT

They could keep selling...but the DOFD should not change...the drop off date should stay the same...but if you have a new collection asking for payment...and you have the money...pay them...in exchange for them not reporting AT ALL...then go back to the CRAs...with the receipt...disputing the Midland does not own the account...you paid the new CA...and ask for Midland to be deleted...
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
They could keep selling...but the DOFD should not change...the drop off date should stay the same...but if you have a new collection asking for payment...and you have the money...pay them...in exchange for them not reporting AT ALL...then go back to the CRAs...with the receipt...disputing the Midland does not own the account...you paid the new CA...and ask for Midland to be deleted...

I very, very, VERY respectfully disagree, Sly (again, I REALLY respect you -- can you tell????).

I think the OP should, first and foremost, DV both CAs -- the one reporting (Midland) AND the "new" CA. The OP really needs to know WHO owns the debt before paying it off.

If Midland did, indeed, sell the debt to the "new CA," they should NOT be reporting the debt any longer. If the OP DVs them and Midland can't verify (due to selling the debt), Midland will gone from the CRs and since the "new CA" isn't reporting yet, the OP can cut THAT new CA off at the pass (so's to speak) and pay the debt before they DO report.

At least, that's what I would do.
Message 3 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

TRYINGHARDTOUPSCORE wrote:
I HAD A FINGER HUT CHARGE CARD IN THE FALL OF 2001.  I WAS NEVER ABLE TO PAY A PAYMENT.  THEY SOLD IT TO MIDLAND SEP 2002.  MIDLAND IS WHAT IS SHOWING UP ON MY CREDIT REPORT.  NOW I HAVE BEEN OFFERED A SETTLEMENT FROM ANOTHER CA- ENHANCED RECOVERY.  I LIVE IN KY AND MY SOL ON CREDIT CARDS IS 5 YEARS, WHICH WOULD MEAN THAT THE SOL IS OVER.  SO DO THE CA'S HAVE A RIGHT TO KEEP REPORTING THIS? 

If reporting on TU and/or EX, then I would pull both reports directly from the CRA to make sure they didn't re-age the account. You'll find on those reports a drop off date. If your DOFD was in the fall of 2001, then it should read a drop off date for this fall (7 yrs later due to CRTP).

And yes, they can continue to try to collect past SOL and CRTP. It can go on forever, but, IMO, don't worry about it after CRTP.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I say that because...if you know the debt is yours...why bother with the DVs...you have 30 days with the new CA...and if you pay...for them not to report...they will never report...then you can dispute the one on your report...

But...if you DV them...you have to give them 30 days to validate...and then they probably are going to report...yeah they are not supposed report...while validating...but I have had MANY CAs...violate by reporting during validation...then you have to go to...filing disputes....and go to the BBB....and all that stuff...while in the meantime you would have a new collection on your reports...

I respect and understand what Wonderin is saying...but I was just saying what I would do...if I were in your case...now you have to take all this info in...and figure out what will work for you...we are all here with a common goal...TO HELP...
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Boy o my head hurts

I have a few options if i understand.  And of course more questions

1.  pay Enhanced recovery if they agree no to report it (or since it isn't reported they automatically won't-right?) and then dv midland (or should i go ahead and dv midland?)

2.  who do i dv the cra or collectors?

3. Pay no one and dv both - this is risky because it could cause enhanced recovery to report it-right?

4.  either way midland has no right to reporting this because they don't own it anymore-right?

5.  I might be able to scrape up the money but after figuring my budget (with school starting back) it would be way close.  Is there any way to settle with enhanced recovery in a couple of payments and still get not have them decide to report it?

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I say that because...if you know the debt is yours...why bother with the DVs...you have 30 days with the new CA...and if you pay...for them not to report...they will never report...then you can dispute the one on your report...

But...if you DV them...you have to give them 30 days to validate...and then they probably are going to report...yeah they are not supposed report...while validating...but I have had MANY CAs...violate by reporting during validation...then you have to go to...filing disputes....and go to the BBB....and all that stuff...while in the meantime you would have a new collection on your reports...

I respect and understand what Wonderin is saying...but I was just saying what I would do...if I were in your case...now you have to take all this info in...and figure out what will work for you...we are all here with a common goal...TO HELP...

Sly, I suggested what I did so if the OP decides to pay this debt, s/he will more than likely end up paying the right one. I don't know if you remember what happened to JShidell, but he ended up paying TWO CAs for the same debt!! And if he had known better (since I think he, like me and DH, started fixing his credit before he came here and didn't know all the facts), and DVed them both, he would have found out that only ONE could legally collect and he could have told the other to go pound sand.

As it is, he's out THOUSANDS of dollars! Smiley Sad

I just think DVing would have the advantage in two ways: 1) The OP would know WHO to pay and 2) if neither CAs can validate, s/he would be off the hook! At least, until they COULD verify.

As for a new collection showing up on his/her CRs, if the OP DVs them both, they legally can't report until after they validate. So really, there's an advantage there, too.

Finally, I'm fairly sure that the "New CA" has to give the OP roughly 30+ days to request validation before they can report the debt. That's my understanding, at least.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Boy o my head hurts

I have a few options if i understand.  And of course more questions

1.  pay Enhanced recovery if they agree no to report it (or since it isn't reported they automatically won't-right?) and then dv midland (or should i go ahead and dv midland?)

2.  who do i dv the cra or collectors?

3. Pay no one and dv both - this is risky because it could cause enhanced recovery to report it-right?

4.  either way midland has no right to reporting this because they don't own it anymore-right?

5.  I might be able to scrape up the money but after figuring my budget (with school starting back) it would be way close.  Is there any way to settle with enhanced recovery in a couple of payments and still get not have them decide to report it?

I'd still DV them both. They're not allowed to report until they HAVE validated, so you should have more time to come up with PIF, if you should decide to PFD.

True, Midland can't legally (or so it seems) collect OR report the debt if it's been transferred/reassigned/sold, but that doesn't mean they'll STOP. DVing them will make the legal holder of the debt clear so you'll know who to pay. Otherwise, what's to stop Midland from claiming that THEY owe the debt?

My (convoluted) thinking is this: Let's say that you go ahead and pay Enhanced. Now, who's to say that they can legally collect this debt? It may be that Midland still retains the legal right, not Enhanced. If that's the case, you're out the money -- at least, until you can hire a consumer lawyer and sue the "false" CA for reimbursement.

As my hubby likes to quote (from a really crappy movie he watched YEARS ago) "**Bleep** you, pay me." THAT'S going to be BOTH CAs' reaction when you tell one that you paid the other. Midland won't care if you paid Enhanced, Enhanced won't care if you paid Midland. Both will assume that they own the debt (unless you FORCE them to recheck their data) and will tell you to sue the other guy to get your money back.

See what I mean??

EDIT: Whoops! Wasn't a "crappy movie" -- it was Goodfellas!! Yikes!! Smiley Happy

Message Edited by Wonderin on 08-02-2008 09:12 PM
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, I was in the exact same situation as you. This is what you need to do (warning this will take time, but if you follow this to the letter, this will work for you in the end AND you might get a couple of hundred dollars for your trouble).

1) Make a copy of any dunning letter you received from Midland. Enclose that copy with your DV letter. Make sure it's CMRRRed (everything should be CMRRRed). Make sure you have and keep copies of all correspondence.

2) If Midland follows the playbook, they will report you to the CRAs after 30 days. (This is actually going to be a GOOD thing...you'll see why in a bit).

3) If after 30 days you have not seen a response AND they have started reporting you, then send a follow up DV and state that them reporting you on the CRA represents a collection action against you after you have asked for a DV.

4) After your 30 days have past, get yourself a consumer advocate lawyer in your state...he will then work with you because you have done your homework.

5) If things go according to plan by this point a FDCPA lawsuit would have been filed on your behalf.

6) Midland will cave and settle. In your settlement, the only things you should care about is the fact that this debt will not be sold to another JDB. And that they will remove the item from your credit reports. This debt will then be dead and you will not deal with Zombie debt.

If any of this stuff is confusing, then I urge you to find a consumer advocate lawyer and make sure that he takes it on CONTINGENCY (nothing comes out of your pocket). You might get some money out of the deal but the lawyer will get most of it.

You can do all of this without one...but really. These jerks will take you more seriously when you are represented by lawyers than when you do this "pro se" (yourself). You will get quicker results. The more important thing is to **bleep** this in the bud then to collect on violations.

Hope this helps. If you need clarifaction, let me know.

Message Edited by AboveAverage on 08-02-2008 08:10 PM
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.