cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

THEY SAID THEIR POLICY IS AGAINST PFD...

tag
gerty
Established Member

THEY SAID THEIR POLICY IS AGAINST PFD...

I have a collection that was placed with a company on behalf of the hospital in my area for a brest pump rental that I had after I had my daughter. I know the debt is valid so I called to make arrangements with the company. They said the hospital doesn't negotiate on what I can pay and the policy for their agency is not to PFD. They said I could submit a letter after it was paid explaining the situation to them and they would review it for possible deletion. Should I push the issue of PFD or are they right in saying I have to abide by their terms? I live in NC, if that helps. Also, if I do PFD, how quickly can I ask them to delete? I was thinking 10 days, do I have to give them 30? I'm wanting to buy a home and need to get this off of my report ASAP while home prices are down!!

Thanks!!!!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: THEY SAID THEIR POLICY IS AGAINST PFD...

Hi, Gerty, and welcome.

The standard response to most consumer PFD and GW letters is that the OC/CA to which you have written has a legal obligation to accurately reporrt, and thus is legally bound not to delete a prior accurate entry.  And they are legally correct in this "policy."  But they wll bend it if you can show it is in their interest to do so. 
They will only throw the moral "we cant do it" lines at you until they see a future business benefit.  GW and PFD offers are routinely accepted, notwithstanding their statements that they cant do it!  You have to make them an offer they cant refuse!

Both PFD and GW letters are playing on their captitalistic desire to keep your business or secure payment of the account. 

GW pleadings are granted in the hope of keeping your future business.  They only work with the OC, for the CA gets it business from the OC, not you.

PFDs with a CA are a different animal.  They are granted to get your $$.  If they feel you are going to pay anyway, they dont accept your offers of lower payments, or just 'ole plan to sue anway, then they wont bite.

Probably the biggest factor in a PFD with a CA is how close the account is to expiration of the SOL.  Once the SOL expires, they can no longer win a legal action for collection.

From what you have said,the inpact on your CR is your prime reason for pursui9ng this,and not just paying. 

If you just pay without giving full PFD attempts, then it wont come off of your credit report, and wont help your credit score.  So continue to PFD until the cows come home!

Message Edited by RobertEG on 11-20-2008 11:23 PM
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried discussing directly with the hospital?

you might get more mileage if you convince them. (the OC has power ofver the CA, but not vice versa)

Message 3 of 5
gerty
Established Member

Both of you have great suggestions. Thanks for the help. I'll keep plugging along until I get it worked out!!

Message 4 of 5
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

since this is debt is from a hospital, I recommend searching the boards here for information on the HIPAA process, which helps to get medical bills removed from credit reports.  I believe you would be required to PIF (pay in full) for this process to work, however.  Research this option before contacting the CA again!!  The number one rule of the HIPAA process is do not talk to the CA!

I wish you good luck.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.