Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TU Has Locked Me Out "Forever"

tag
CarlyK82
New Contributor

TU Has Locked Me Out "Forever"

I am so furious & livid right now, I don't even know what to do, but I am hoping that someone maybe could chime in with some information...

I subscribed myself & the fiance to MPM for the self+spouse daily pulling. For whatever reason, he is able to pull all of the time, but I have not been able to since the start. So, I called the number that MPM gives you to call. That woman tried to unlock it but it got me nowhere. I got sent to the escalation department, and I was told that my account was locked forever and there was nothing I could do about it and that I would never be able to established online access for any TU product.

I called to cancel MPM because why should I pay for anything if I cannot pull. I spoke with a wonderful woman who gave me the number to an exectuive contact customer service line. I told her what was going on, she looked into my account and informed me that my account is locked forever and that I would never be able to retrieve a credit report from TU ever again due to suspicious activity that occured around 2007. I asked to speak with a supervisior and got told that there are none. I asked for a corporate office contact, they "do not have corporate offices."

So basically, I am locked out of my account for the rest of my life for some reason that I don't even know and I am just supposed to be done and happy with that? She also stated that I would never be able to pull any credit report online that has TU reporting ever again either. After getting off of the phone with her, she was kind enough to send me two emails stating that:

"Thank you for choosing TransUnion. Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond our control, we are unable to continue providing you with credit management products"

So what am I supposed to do now? Has anybody dealt with this ever before? Does anyone have any TU contacts (although I am not sure that this will help). I mean, what possibly could happen that I am forever locked out? I did start pulling my credit reports daily when I was doing credit repair then, but really?

Officially in the garden...for like, EVER (or at least a really long time)

Starting Score: TU: 636 EQ: ?? EX: ??
Current Score:TU: 641 EQ: 643 EX: ??
Goal Score: 700s Across the Board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: TU Has Locked Me Out "Forever"

Makes no sense to me at all.  Seems you could easily verify your identity by sending a copy of your DL and SS card.

Did they say what kind of "suspicious activity" was involved?

I've never heard of anyone not being able to access their CR for life.  Does that mean creditors won't be able to either?

Message 2 of 30
Unique620
Frequent Contributor

That's odd from 2007? Really! I would file a bbb.org complaint. That way they will have to investigate and give a better clear answer to there reasoning.

Mcu_platinum_cardDiscoverQuicksilverAmazonFreedomSapphirePenFed_Credit_Union_Power_Cash_CardAMEX_BCPDeltaHhiltonAmex_platinumAppleNavy PlatinumCash rewardsNavy Platinum

Message 3 of 30
CarlyK82
New Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

Makes no sense to me at all.  Seems you could easily verify your identity by sending a copy of your DL and SS card.

Did they say what kind of "suspicious activity" was involved?

I've never heard of anyone not being able to access their CR for life.  Does that mean creditors won't be able to either?

I thought this was weird as well, but the woman was adamant. When I first had this trouble yesterday, I called and had to verify all of this information from my credit reports, which I passed, but I was still "locked out" which is why I got escalated to another person. But the woman today did not state what the suspicious activity was and said she could not divulge that information to me either.

I have never had a fraud alert on my credit report, creditors never had issues from 2007-present accessing it (including some stubborn CAs that pull), so ID theft was never an issue.

Apparently my credit was unlocked in 2008 by a supervisor...I guess I tried to get my credit report then, and she said that it should have never been unlocked ever, which is why she went back and locked it forever.

I would assume though that if there was suspicious activity and they believed that something would need to be done about it, I technically should have online access as it would show changes quicker & before it was too late as opposed to receiving one credit report a year...but then again what do I know.

Message 4 of 30
Epcot
Valued Contributor

That's crazy. I hope it works out, keep us posted.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 5 of 30
CarlyK82
New Contributor

@Unique620 wrote:

That's odd from 2007? Really! I would file a bbb.org complaint. That way they will have to investigate and give a better clear answer to there reasoning.

That's a great idea, I think I will do that. I do have the woman's name and I was able to get the woman's name and I guess it is a badge or ID number of some sort. Who knows if it is real or not.

Message 6 of 30
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I believe it's a federal law that mandates you are able to view the contents of your CR annually.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 30
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Did someone in your family die in 2007? 

If so, they may have you listed as deceased,  I saw a user who was listed as deceased, however it was her mother who had passed away instead, and she had a joint mortgage with her mother:

Recent government estimates have revealed about 1,000 people per month are mistakenly declared dead by a number of entities, including the Social Security Administration, the big three credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian and TransUnion), banks and credit card issuers.

The reason behind the erroneous credit reports is a bit of a mystery, but there’s no doubt that it has a massive impact on the lives of those affected.

The main reason that being declared dead is so problematic is the inability consumers have to acquire a loan, credit card, or even job, as a result. Once you are declared deceased, your credit history is locked down, meaning you no longer have a credit score, and no one — including lenders and credit card issuers — can access your credit history.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 8 of 30
CarlyK82
New Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

Did someone in your family die in 2007? 

If so, they may have you listed as deceased,  I saw a user who was listed as deceased, however it was her mother who had passed away instead, and she had a joint mortgage with her mother:

Recent government estimates have revealed about 1,000 people per month are mistakenly declared dead by a number of entities, including the Social Security Administration, the big three credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian and TransUnion), banks and credit card issuers.

The reason behind the erroneous credit reports is a bit of a mystery, but there’s no doubt that it has a massive impact on the lives of those affected.

The main reason that being declared dead is so problematic is the inability consumers have to acquire a loan, credit card, or even job, as a result. Once you are declared deceased, your credit history is locked down, meaning you no longer have a credit score, and no one — including lenders and credit card issuers — can access your credit history.

As far as I know, nobody died in 2007. My grandfather died in 2003 and after he died, I lived at his home, but otherwise, no other deaths until 2011, which was the passing of my grandmother. I know that there were a lot of legal issues surrounding my grandfather after his death (suing of his estate) and such, but not sure really what happened with that or if it had any bearing on anything, as I wasn't ever involved with that stuff.

I did want to report that I did just type out a huge letter detailing my issues from start to what happened today, with TU. Unfortunately the BBB only lets you explain in 4000 characters, and that just was not enough. I did add to my complaint that I had details but have been limited by the character limit, so only included what transpired today but would be more than willing to provide additional information stating the chain of events leading to my complaint.

Message 9 of 30
starry1
Valued Contributor

The BBB allows you to upload supporting documentation when you initiate a complaint.  I'd type up a letter with all the details and upload it.

I wish I had mistakenly been declared dead, then I wouldn't have had to file for bk.Smiley LOL

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.