Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TWC collection not known to TWC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

TWC collection not known to TWC

I am going through my report and writing PFD letters. I currently have a TWC collection from 2009 but the funny thing is that I just opened a new account with them 3 months ago. How do I get this old acct of my CR do i still do a PFD or do I send a DV letter?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
aot2009
Regular Contributor

Re: TWC collection not known to TWC

It can happen sometimes they don't know of the old accounts when they purge their database.

This happened to me but I opened my big mouth to them on the phone 6 months after I had the new account and 30 days later I got the bill of the old account on the new account and was forced to pay it.

Is it TWC on your report or a collection agency? 

If it's TWC showing you'll have to PFD since it's the original creditor.

If it's a CA I would first DV the account.

Message 2 of 10
MarcinXP
Frequent Contributor

TWC, Comcast and other companies do not really have a department that controls these things..Basically when you called TWC for cable service the agent you spoke to should have asked you for your name and social security number. Normally what they are supposed to do is search a database to see if you ever had service with them before and owe them money. If you do then the agent should have informed you that you have to pay the past due balance before setting up a new account. Sometimes agents, especially commission agents on the phone like to skip that step and just create you in database as a new customer and set you up. There is not too much enforcement on it as even their QA depts spot check only like 2-3% of all calls. Trust me with so many customers QA is focused on either random spot checks or if they have an agent that has been caught doing this before multiple times, they audit that, but mostly 99% of customers get missed, unless the system really is smart enough to find you and normally it isin't. Also some cable companies use different billing system in different regions, either because they were a different company before in one area like Adelphia and/or Comcast and rather than integrating their own billing system they keep the old one because its cheaper and local people that used to be with that company are already familiar with it so why mess it up and retrain agents thats why you can move from one state to another and they cannot even check to see if you have bad debt.  Either way if you call and tell them you have bad debt and let them know where...yes they will transfer those funds to the new account very quickly and simply..

NFCU Visa Sig $30k / Amex Blue Cash $25.5k / Fidelity Amex $25k / Chase Freedom $14.5k / Citi Double Cash $5k / Capital One Quicksilver Visa Sig $5k / Citi Best Buy MC $3K / Barclay Rewards MC $2.95k / BOA - BBR $2.5k / SY Lowes $15k / SY Amazon $6k / Target RedCard - $300
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's from the CA.
Message 4 of 10
aot2009
Regular Contributor

Send them a DV letter first. 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thanks. Where can I find a sample dv letter?
Message 6 of 10
aot2009
Regular Contributor
Message 7 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Did they send you dunning notice, and if so, are you past the 30-day period for invoking a cease collection bar?

If untimely, the DV may just be ignored (unless you live in Tx, which would compel a response).

A DV is not a path for CR removal. Failure to provide debt verification is not basis for CR removal. It is a debt collection practices matter. 

If CR deletion is your primary goal, and the debt is legit, then perhaps the PFD route would be preferable.  Sending a timely DV would be at least a temporary impediment to PFD negotiations due to its imposition of a cease collection bar on the debt collector.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do not recall receiving a notice. I do live in Tx, so do I send the dv first then send the Pfd?
Message 9 of 10
aot2009
Regular Contributor

It's up to you but I've not had much luck in PFD in the past almost every CA I've delt with has refused PFD but they are happy to update your report which doesn't help you.

>>Failure to provide debt verification is not basis for CR removal.

I usually do a DV first because if they cannot verify it's my debt they certainly should not be reporting it. 

Everything I've ever read says that "Collection activity includes reporting to the CRA" ... 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.