Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target Reporting Correctly?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Target Reporting Correctly?

I had an account with Target that was charged off but the balance was paid in full to Target in February 2016. It is supposed to fall off my reports in August 2018. I was able to get an EE with TU just a few days ago. It still remains on my other two reports. Looking at my Equifax portion of my 3b report from last week I see that Target is still reporting monthly as a charge off when I look back at the 2 year payment history. Experian stopped the monthly reporting in February 2016 when payment was made.

Last Updated - 1/2018
Payment Status - Charge off
Last Activity - 8/2011
Balance - $0
Comments - Paid Charge Off

I have another paid Charge off from Capital One and looking at the 2 year history on that account I see the monthly updates stopped 1-2 months after full payment was made.

Why is Target still reporting monthly as Charge Off on my Equifax report? Is the monthly reporting incorrect?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Target Reporting Correctly?

"Reporting of the charge-off" is done under more than one code, referencing different aspects.

For any month when the account was delinquent, it will have had a delinquency status that can be reported and retained in your Payment History Profile as an historical record of past monthly performance.  It can show, for example, either "180+ late" or "CO," either of which store the history profile.

Separate is the Current Status, which reflects no historical information, and is only a snapshot of your status as either delinquent, paid, or pays as agreed as of the date of the last reporting.  After the debt is paid, the account is no longer delinquent, and the current status must be a non-delinquency status.  "CO" could then no longer be a proper currrent status.

In the posted scenario, the Payment History profile can continue to show CO for each month after it was charged-off until it was paid in 02/2016.  After 2016, regular updates should have ceased, adn the CRAs instruct creditors to cease updates no later than 3 months after the debt is paid, but if any updates were made, they should show OK from 03/2016 to date, with the current status with each update reporting Paid.

With the Current Status no longer being one of delinquency, then when the account reached 7 years from DOFD and the CRA was doing its exclusion, their policy is not to exlcude the entire account.  They exclude for all months in the prior Payment History Profile, and the Currrent Status would show Paid.\

Deletion of the entire account would only occur if its Current Status remained unpaid (e.g., "CO").

Thus, your account thereafter would show no derogatory items.

If they are continuing to show any delinquency status after you paid the debt, either in your Payment History Profle or as your Current Status, that is inaccurate, that is a violation of the exclusion requirment of FCRA 605(a), and you should file a dispute on that basis. 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.