Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Lien Gone

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tax Lien Gone

Hi Everyone,

I posted a few weeks back about Federal tax lien that was on my credit report.  I contacted a tax relief company but didn't have the money to go through with their services at the time.  I just checked my Experian report on creditkarma and it no longer shows the fed lien for $50,000.  It does still list the state tax lien for $7000.  The state lien used to say "released", but now says nothing as far as released or filed.  Is this an accident that may be reversed? Or is it really off of my credit report for good?!  Should I bother poking the bear by disputing the state tax lien? Or just count my blessings?  

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tax Lien Gone

Personally I would dispute it.

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Released means the lien has been paid.  It does not mean that the lien has been withdrawn from the public record.

The exclusion period for tax liens is no later than 7 years from the date paid (released).  The released date is shown in the public record which is reviewed by the CRA.  Regardless of whether it is shown in your commercial credit report, if the public record itself shows a release (paid) date of less than 7 years ago, it is still legitimately included in your credit report.  Thus, a dispute would result in removal, as there is no error in its continued inclusion.  

There are two separate reasons for removal of a tax lien other than credit report exclusion at 7 years from date paid.

First, the lien is a federal lien and has been withdrawn rather than simply paid (relased).  The IRS and CRAs have a process that removes paid federal tax liens if paid in full and the consumer has obtained a form 109169(c) from the IRS, formally withdrawing the paid lien.

However, that process does not apply to state tax liens.  You must get the lien deleted from the public record to then get it removed by the CRA prior to 7 years from date paid.

Second, if the posted lien does not contain at least the consumer's name, address, and DOB or SSN, the CRA will remove under its new National Consumer Assistance Plan.  Have you reviewed the actual public record posting to see if it has that information?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your responses.  Since then, both liens reappeared on my credit report.  I ended disputing them with CFPB and just received a letter from Experian stating that they will be deleted from my credit report.  Checked creditkarma and they were deleted, but they have now reappeared.  Should I be worried or does it just take a little time?  One is an unpaid tax lien.  If they are in fact deleted, does this mean I no longer owe the IRS? Or is it just no longer on my credit report, but I still have the bill?

Message 4 of 5
Effielin
New Contributor

Go read the thread in Credit in the News..they are supposed to stop reporting tax liens in April.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.