Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Lien

tag
Gracie15
Valued Member

Tax Lien

I tried searching in the boards for my answer, but didn't find one. So I am asking anyone who may know: Just pulled my CR, EQ is reporting an Indiana state tax lien from 1998 in the public records section.  I paid this, although being so long ago and not understanding that I need to keep proof of everything, I no longer have proof I paid. I remember going to get a car loan and the guy asking me about it and I told him it was paid. He said they usually don't remove them from the CR. So I have gotten car loans and a mortgage with no problems. What I want to know is when will it fall off my report, or will it? And I want to buy a house in the state I live in now, will they understand that the tax lien has been paid? I have disputed this on other occasions, with no success.  Any thoughts about what I can do?  I now live 1600 miles away and can't just drive down to the court house to talk to someone. By the way, this is my first postSmiley Wink

Starting Score: EQ: 559 Score Watch
Current Score: EQ: 646 TU: 667 EX: 664 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 640

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: Tax Lien

A paid tax lien should have fallen off by now. You could probably dispute it as obsolete for removal from credit reports.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 2 of 4
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Hi and Welcome to the forumsSmiley Wink

Paid tax liens remain seven years from the date they are paid.

You dont need proof you paid it, as long as it says paid on your CR.

Does EQ show the date paid?   if so, just add seven years.

TU and EX shows drop off dates. Have you pulled them, to see if this tax lien is on them?

You may find info on the Indiana web site. http://www.in.gov/dor/3325.htm

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 3 of 4
Gracie15
Valued Member

It is only on my Equifax credit report. I pulled them all about a month ago. It shows the court address, the amount and class: state. Also says date reported - N/A.  It doesn't say it was paid.  Thanks for the web site. I will look there and see what I can find. I think I will call the courthouse on Monday and see what they say, it does show a case number also. Thank you both for responding and the welcome.

Starting Score: EQ: 559 Score Watch
Current Score: EQ: 646 TU: 667 EX: 664 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 640

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.