Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Effect of Credit Report Inquiries on Auto Insurance Premiums

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Effect of Credit Report Inquiries on Auto Insurance Premiums

As a result of an unjustified traffic conviction, my auto insurance premium increased by 50%. The insurance company advised me it would take 5 years to get back the old rate, which had been based on my perfect driving record.

However, when I received the next 6-month notice, I observed that I was back to the original rate.

When I called to inquire the reason, the agent simply responded, "I don't know what guidelines the underwriter follows, but what I do know is that they are pretty much set in stone by the California Deparrtment of Insurance."

Upon further reflecton, it occuirred to me that I had intentionally and substantially increased my credit scores duering the interim, as I was planning to purchase an automobile. However, I did not see any such inquiries on my downoaded credit report, so I called my banking officer, who informed me as follows:

"Yes, insurance companies make inquiries, but they are soft rather than hard inquiries, so you cannot see them."  

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.