cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The next steps.. car loan or student loan? Closing a CC?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

The next steps.. car loan or student loan? Closing a CC?

Needing a little advice on what to do next on mine and my husbands rebuild.

One of our biggest issue was collection accounts which are now all paid/settled and now waiting to be deleted in hopefully the next week or so. Not expecting a big jump because they were already 2-4 years old at this point. 

My derogs are:

over 80% still due on a car loan from 2018. 6 late payments and a repo but redeemed. The interest rate is at 26% horrible I know. The last late was March and the repo was from September 2019. 

His:

the same car loan. 

A nordstrom card with 5 lates.. was able to pay it off right before it was charged off in March/april. It is now update to date. But thinking of closing it because I doubt he would ever get a CLI due too all the lates. Limit is $300. 

He also has a student loan that currently deferred for $3808.

We both have secured Capital one that has not reported just yet. 

The end goal is to buy a house within a year or two. But ALSO tinkering with the idea to trade our car. I'd personally like to do so when we reach  a fico score of 675 before the car thing happens. Most recent (8/4/20) fico scores  for him are tu 576 / eq  573 / ex 573 MIne are (7/11/20)  tu  531 / eq 535 / ex 484 

I'm not sure what we should do next. Part of me wants to start paying off his student loan. BUT also I'm annoyed at myself at the car loan only being 14% paid off. HELP! Any opinions welcome! 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: The next steps.. car loan or student loan? Closing a CC?

I strongly suggest you pay off higher APRs first. I would not close the Nordstrom either at this point if its still open, use it and over time you should be able to get a CLI.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The next steps.. car loan or student loan? Closing a CC?

Thank you! it's still open and active. We use it and pay it off with hopes that one day they will see better habits and offer a CLI. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.