cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The next steps

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
New Contributor

The next steps

Well, I started this whole credit-rehabbing process back in January. I've moved my scores from the mid-400s to the mid-500s, gotten several collections removed (there are now only two collections on each report, Exp and TU have a Sprint acct thru Cavalry and a Verizon Acct thru AFNI; Eq has the Sprint/Cavalry acct and a Doody Calls acct thru another CA). The Calvalry acct is super old, going back to 2004, while the AFNI and Doody Calls accts are 1 and 2 years old, respectively. The amounts owed on each account is less than $220. I've tried investigating them and reinvestigating but the CAs always report back to the bureaus. I can nudge my score up a bit by paying them off to at least get the balances to $0, but frankly I want them off completely. Has anyone had success working with someone or some department at Calvalry or AFNI in a PFD?

The caveat with the Doody Calls and Cavalry accts is that they showed up during my govt security clearance investigation and MUST be paid off (department pulled my Equifax report) since I was granted an interim clearance. Other than these collections, I have two charge-offs, one for a personal loan, $2667, and another for a credit card, $204. Both these accounts showed up during the investigation process so they have to be paid off too. I am going to get rid of the nagging $204 CC balance next week. As for the personal loan, I'll start making payments toward it by the end of the month and hope to have it paid off by December. While the credit union I borrowed from will not consider a PFD, having these balances as $0, along with the status's changed from Charge-off to "Pays as Agreed," will significantly improve my scores I'm betting.

Still another negative factor on my report is my car loan. The loan was purchased back in 2004, went into default/repo, redeemed, and paid mostly on time since then. My mother took over the car in 2005. There are three 30-day lates from 2007 that I'd like to get removed, but I'm not sure where I can send a goodwill letter in regards to a car loan with Chase. Though I don't see it on any of my reports any longer, the repo, which happened in March 2005, I'm sure is still factored into the scoring. I'd like to goodwill that as well. In my favor, I think, on the lates in 2007 is the fact that Experian shows no lates in the months TU and Equifax show them. I'm not sure if, in my goodwill, I should mention that to Chase. Will they delete the lates in TU and Equifax or add the lates to Experian?

I have two CC accts that have high balances, but they are low-cl cards that will be paid in full next week. Not sure how much of a boost I can expect but I'm thinking it will help out nicely.

I'm wondering what I can do now to get some positive movement in my score from positive means, i.e., not having collections removed or balances reduced. Should I get a secured personal loan from the credit union for a low amount and pay it off over a couple months? Will buying a new car help? I'd like to get a loan on my own, but if my scores aren't sufficient by the time I am ready to buy (Sept) I have an excellent co-signer waiting in the wings.

Any advice or shared experiences would be great!
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Moderator Emeritus

Re: The next steps

GBC wrote:
Well, I started this whole credit-rehabbing process back in January. I've moved my scores from the mid-400s to the mid-500s, gotten several collections removed (there are now only two collections on each report, Exp and TU have a Sprint acct thru Cavalry and a Verizon Acct thru AFNI; Eq has the Sprint/Cavalry acct and a Doody Calls acct thru another CA). The Calvalry acct is super old, going back to 2004, while the AFNI and Doody Calls accts are 1 and 2 years old, respectively. The amounts owed on each account is less than $220. I've tried investigating them and reinvestigating but the CAs always report back to the bureaus. I can nudge my score up a bit by paying them off to at least get the balances to $0, but frankly I want them off completely. Has anyone had success working with someone or some department at Calvalry or AFNI in a PFD?

Some have had luck with AFNI agreeing to PFD by emailing them. They've said they do the PFD but not send you anything saying so until after you pay. This is what they did to me, I chose not to believe them and waiting for it to fall off. Check BBB website for a email addy.

Have you DV'd either of these?

Paying them will not help your score, but if your security clearance requires it, then you'll have to pay anyhow.

If you pay without a PFD, GW them.

Have you spoke with the OC about accepting payment and removing from collections?

The caveat with the Doody Calls and Cavalry accts is that they showed up during my govt security clearance investigation and MUST be paid off (department pulled my Equifax report) since I was granted an interim clearance. Other than these collections, I have two charge-offs, one for a personal loan, $2667, and another for a credit card, $204. Both these accounts showed up during the investigation process so they have to be paid off too. I am going to get rid of the nagging $204 CC balance next week. As for the personal loan, I'll start making payments toward it by the end of the month and hope to have it paid off by December. While the credit union I borrowed from will not consider a PFD, having these balances as $0, along with the status's changed from Charge-off to "Pays as Agreed," will significantly improve my scores I'm betting.

The status will likely just change to Paid after charge off or paid charge off. After you pay them, you can GW them.

How old are these accounts?

Still another negative factor on my report is my car loan. The loan was purchased back in 2004, went into default/repo, redeemed, and paid mostly on time since then. My mother took over the car in 2005. There are three 30-day lates from 2007 that I'd like to get removed, but I'm not sure where I can send a goodwill letter in regards to a car loan with Chase. Though I don't see it on any of my reports any longer, the repo, which happened in March 2005, I'm sure is still factored into the scoring. I'd like to goodwill that as well. In my favor, I think, on the lates in 2007 is the fact that Experian shows no lates in the months TU and Equifax show them. I'm not sure if, in my goodwill, I should mention that to Chase. Will they delete the lates in TU and Equifax or add the lates to Experian?

If your report is not showing repo then it can not be figured into your scores.

If you GW and the lates are accurate, they could add to the other reports or they could remove them.  

I have two CC accts that have high balances, but they are low-cl cards that will be paid in full next week. Not sure how much of a boost I can expect but I'm thinking it will help out nicely.

30% of your score is based on utilization. FICO likes to see less than half your accounts showing balances and utilization between 1-9%.

I'm wondering what I can do now to get some positive movement in my score from positive means, i.e., not having collections removed or balances reduced. Should I get a secured personal loan from the credit union for a low amount and pay it off over a couple months? Will buying a new car help? I'd like to get a loan on my own, but if my scores aren't sufficient by the time I am ready to buy (Sept) I have an excellent co-signer waiting in the wings.

Any advice or shared experiences would be great!

You need to repair before rebuilding. Concentrate on repairing all negative items before you begin rebuilding.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free Annual Reports, Freq. Requested Threads, 5 Things We Don't Talk About, Common Abbreviations, Where do I start?, State Resources
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.