Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The unknown between Payment Due and Statement date

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

The unknown between Payment Due and Statement date

What happens and what is reported?

My payment due date is today with Discover.  I owe them nothing according to viewing my account on line.  Everything I have charged, I have paid off this month EXCEPT,  a tank of gas I charged on Monday.  I thought the authorization would change over, and show on my account so I could pay it today.  Discover won’t allow me to pay over/into my account for the amount. So my question now becomes, what will be reported on my statement?  What happens in the week between pay by, and your statement is ready?  If it posts tomorrow and I pay it then, will it still appear on my statement?  Working hard for my accounts to report as small of a balance as possible, working on AZEO.  Didn’t want this account to be the “except”...

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: The unknown between Payment Due and Statement date

When is your statement day? 

Not due day, but which day statement becomes available 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The 17th is the statement date.  Payment due date is the 11th.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is what I learn from personal experinces, mistakes and bad choices...

You have to pay your bill by 11th HOWEVER anything that comes through by the 17th will apply on the next statement which will come up on the 18th..

So that gas purchases will show up unless you make another payment. I would wait until tomorrow to see if it you can on it but you have until the 17th to pay that gas purchase. Normally I will pay mine off the day B4 just in case.

Message 4 of 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

The 17th is the statement date.  Payment due date is the 11th.

Charges made between 11th and 17th will be included on the same statement if they are done processing. 

Discover will report whatever balance is present at the time they report, meaning if you had pending charges. they will be included, too.

However, if this bothers you so much, you can always send them a secure message or call, and ask for off cycle reporting when you pay balance down to zero. They are one of the few rare issuers who will do this. 

I would not sweat balance being reported. You want to show use of cards. 

Message 5 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

This is what I learn from personal experinces, mistakes and bad choices...

You have to pay your bill by 11th HOWEVER anything that comes through by the 17th will apply on the next statement which will come up on the 18th..

So that gas purchases will show up unless you make another payment. I would wait until tomorrow to see if it you can on it but you have until the 17th to pay that gas purchase. Normally I will pay mine off the day B4 just in case.

You can push the payment from your bank account, they have to accept it even if it causes a negative balance until the charge posts.

Message 6 of 8
Hex
Valued Contributor

I’ve made the same mistake with Discover twice before and much closer to the statement date. I can’t promise but I’d bet you $20 that it will post with plenty of time to pay it. Just don’t charge anything else and check frequentky to see if it’s posted and pay it right away. I think there’s a fairy big time cushion. I think that perhaps it’s so if you mail in a check (some people still do that) they will have time to process it (so long as it arrives to them on the due date). I think it takes a few days to process that type of payment. That’s my theory anyway.
Message 7 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Ive used the card up until 3 days before statement date. Catch that last 10% cat bonus. When it posts at times a day before the statement date. They give me a warning when I pay that the payment may take up to 8 days. Its hasnt yet. I pay and they have the payment the next day from my bank. Never had a problem. Just rememuber the due date is from the previous months statement date. Not the month your in.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.