Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Theory question????

tag
abarcla1
New Contributor

Theory question????

Does having many accounts in good standing ever begin to outweigh the bad stuff?

How many should I have? Can you have too many?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Theory question????

Positive TLs are necessary for a good healthy TL.  Some people get too hung up on scores.  While scores are important, the report and what's on it is equally important.  You will see people with scores in the 700 range get denied for credit while people in the 600 range are granted credit by the same people.  

This is because often there is an UW, a person that looks at the report and determines whether credit should be extended or not.  You will also see this on a recon for an account if credit has been denied.  If they look on your report and see good healthy TLs and a few old baddies, then they may decide that you have improved your situation and are now able to handle the debt.  However if you have a higher score, but no history and unable to show that you are able to handle things now, you may be declined. 

Hope that made sense to you, Dabears hasn't gotten me my morning coffee yet,  he's slipping.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 7
DaBears
Senior Contributor

I will get you a cup of coffee if change my daughters ( 15 months old ) #2 dirty diaper. She ate Mexican food last night by the way Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

My youngest is turning 14 next month, sorry, but I'm past that stage.   I'll just get up and go get my own coffee.    "This time".  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 7
abarcla1
New Contributor

I'll send my 2 year old over for some potty training.  This is a nightmare!  LOL

Message 5 of 7
shanac
Frequent Contributor

Ooh potty training lessons? Can I send my 22 month old over?

iPhone. iTypos. iApologize

Current Score: EQ FICO 764 TU FICO 776 EX FICO 753
Goal Score: 800
Message 6 of 7
ApexdvToo
Regular Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

Positive TLs are necessary for a good healthy TL.  Some people get too hung up on scores.  While scores are important, the report and what's on it is equally important.  You will see people with scores in the 700 range get denied for credit while people in the 600 range are granted credit by the same people.  

This is because often there is an UW, a person that looks at the report and determines whether credit should be extended or not.  You will also see this on a recon for an account if credit has been denied.  If they look on your report and see good healthy TLs and a few old baddies, then they may decide that you have improved your situation and are now able to handle the debt.  However if you have a higher score, but no history and unable to show that you are able to handle things now, you may be declined. 

Hope that made sense to you, Dabears hasn't gotten me my morning coffee yet,  he's slipping.  Smiley Happy

I had this same thing happen to me recently: app'd for a card, received the infamous onscreen "NO WAY!", rang up the back-door recon number and after chatting a few minutes with the credit analyst (UW) was approved.  He mentioned that although there were negatives on my report he could see there have been no lates for about 3 years and that all open CCs have been paid on time.  He went on to say that because of that they will grant the approval with a low CL.  My scores were 640'ish and from what I could find through online research this particular card is usually only approved at the upper-600 to 700s range.

Now if only I had been around here 15 years ago ... I woulda been trading coffee-go's for diapers like mad!  That kid was *amazing* Smiley Frustrated

Starting Score 4/15/2012:579 Ex-FAKO, 572 Eq-FAKO, 546 TU-FAKO (all were sub-500 in 2011)
FICO as of 3/08/2013: 627 EQ, 647 TU
FAKO as of 3/23/2013: 638 EX, 652 EQ, 648 TU
Goal 1: 600 FICO achieved 10/2012!, Goal 2: 650 FICO Across the Board - Let's take Baby-Steps!
**Amex Optima $1.3k, GE/CareCredit $1k, CapOne Secured $900, Barclaycard Rewards $500, CapOne Rewards $500, Citi/Shell $200**
Seedling Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/18/2013 - Goal: No apps for One Year: 3/18/2014
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.