cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This Board Seems like it's Filled with People That...

tag
K_J
Regular Contributor

Re: This Board Seems like it's Filled with People That...

Mr. Perfect,

Maybe you've had a job for the rest of your life with no layoffs; the economy didn’t affect you, all I could say is good for you. When we say the economy lost 4 million jobs you should remember its people with bills, family, house and FICO scores. Does that mean we cannot pick up from where life and the economy put us NO.? We get up and we show the American spirit of fighting and rebuilding. Maybe no one in your household ever got sick or had emergencies, good for you. My 50 cents is most of us are here not because we want to or do not know how to manage our finances. Yes! some may want it now, but only because they were shocked in the process of making a big purchase and if you look closely most of us have long term plans and been here for 2 years or more, NOTE: before we actually join the board some of us have been lurking and reading up for months.  Mind you, one cannot post here unless they join; So Generalization is not the way to start as a newbie. So go drink Soda and be happy.

Starting Score: EQ: 532, EX: 569, TU: 621 (All lender pull 10/15/11)
Score: EQ: 660,lender pull 4/13, EX: 671 lender pull 4/13, TU: 691 lender pull (4/13)
, current Score (3/16/17) EQ: 724. Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 27
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@HappySoda wrote:

...need to buy a house TOMORROW! I've been lurking for just a while and I am having trouble comprehending how people want to buy a house right now but are so out of touch with their finances that they are on a credit rebuilding forum asking for advice about things they should have handled months or years ago. These are things you should know 2 years before you start thinking about buying a house.  The sense of urgency here is really a bit of madness. You didn't rush when you destroyed your credit did you but now you want to have an instant 780 score? This seems to be the American way - to want everything right now.

My personal advice would be to take a deep breath and re-assess your situation. If you have a bunch of bad stuff on your credit file, maybe you need to stop and re-think what you're doing. I know this may be unpopular opinion here especially for a first post, but this forum reeks of desperate people whose only downfall is that they don't have any patience to rebuild what they took years to destroy. Have some patience people and the good credit will come. Pay your bills on time and all will not be lost.

Well; there are some intelligent observations here but I would throw a couple things at you:

1. The main reason people are in such a hurry to buy now is because rates are lowest they have ever been and prices for homes are at the rock bottom. Why WOULDN'T you be in a hurry to purchase a home, mind you, if you can AFFORD to?

2. You assume everyone destoryed their own credit. This isn't true always. Me? I definitely destroyed my own credit and have paid dearly for it.

3. I had 'a bunch of bad stuff' on my credit file. All of it was from years ago, I haven't had a new negative or deliquent account in over 4 years. Just because it took me awhile to get moving on paying things back and repairing the damage doesn't mean I am currently a deadbeat. Alot of people on this forum are in similar situations.

4, This specific forum is for exactly what you described while lurking. This is the rebuilding forum. People here are rebuilding. It is no different than a weightloss forum. You have desperate people who are at the end of their rope, and then people who lurk and bad mouth them and say its all their fault for their obesity. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't but pointing out the fact is stupid, we all know why were are here. There are other forums here with no rebuilders.

I spent a lot of time on this forum, because this forum helped me. I did everything you said I shouldn't be doing; I rebuilt fast, from scratch raised my scores, took advantage of this housing market, I didn't do so frantically, it took me about 18 months, but there are things and steps people can do to get a faster start and the education in here is worth dealing with the sometimes overzelous posters. 

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 22 of 27
hoping2rebuild
Established Contributor

I want to buy a house but my plans are for end of 2015 begining of 2016

A) I want a stronger credit history for a better rate

B) I want more money saved for down payment and closing

C) My kids will be out of College by then so no education worries.

so waiting for me is worth so much more then having it now Smiley Very Happy

However..........making rash generalizations isn't going to help anyone we are a group that supports each other

and that gets far more done then making statements like you did.

I wish you the best.

Starting Score: 377EQ/350EX/400TU As of 11/2011
Current Score: 620EQ/614EX/612TU As of 01/2013
Goal Score: 700+ across the boards
Message 23 of 27
TheConductor
Established Contributor

I'm just going to humbly point out that when I clicked in...

I'm just going to humbly point out that when I clicked into this thread it was right next to one titled "Slow and steady wins the race".  Smiley Very Happy

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 24 of 27
novabama
Frequent Contributor

Re: I'm just going to humbly point out that when I clicked in...

@TheConductor wrote:

I'm just going to humbly point out that when I clicked into this thread it was right next to one titled "Slow and steady wins the race".  Smiley Very Happy

Smiley Very Happy

Message 25 of 27
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@KnewBee wrote:

Yes I understand both point of views. I always prided myself in having great credit, a high income, and a lot of nice things. I was even a bit of a high rolling snob right up until the economy tanked, my income dropped in half and I could no longer pay all of my bills. Now that I understand what it feels like to be treated like a second class citizen by potential landlords, potential employers, and creditors. I am a much more humble and wiser person. 

(snip!

Had to live both sides of it to understand both point of views.

I feel like you were writing about me. I was flying fast like a jet doing mark 3. Things were great for years then... the money refueling plane stopped coming around. The tanks ran dry and I fell out of the sky. Toss in a company closing, divorce and ex-wife that lied to get every penny I didn't have, I had to start at the bottom and work up again. I'm making progress, scores are climbing, finances are getting better, the ex isn't as money hungry and overall... I'm much happier. 

Most of us want to snap our fingers and have scores in the 750+ range if we're rebuilding. We do what we can to make it happen and learn while we do it. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 26 of 27
Booner72
Senior Contributor

@HappySoda wrote:

...need to buy a house TOMORROW! I've been lurking for just a while and I am having trouble comprehending how people want to buy a house right now but are so out of touch with their finances that they are on a credit rebuilding forum asking for advice about things they should have handled months or years ago. These are things you should know 2 years before you start thinking about buying a house.  The sense of urgency here is really a bit of madness. You didn't rush when you destroyed your credit did you but now you want to have an instant 780 score? This seems to be the American way - to want everything right now.

My personal advice would be to take a deep breath and re-assess your situation. If you have a bunch of bad stuff on your credit file, maybe you need to stop and re-think what you're doing. I know this may be unpopular opinion here especially for a first post, but this forum reeks of desperate people whose only downfall is that they don't have any patience to rebuild what they took years to destroy. Have some patience people and the good credit will come. Pay your bills on time and all will not be lost.

You are being quick to judge and you don't know people's situation.  all my collections were OLD OLD OLD and I had no idea I could get them off and get my score up to get my house, until I found this forum.  Since bad credit days, I have a new job with a much higher income.  So I shouldn't be able to fix my credit to get a house in a hurry?  When the market was rock bottom last summer?   Houses in my neighborhood are now selling at least 20K more than they were last Aug, and they are with multiple bids, on the market 5 days, sometimes 1.

So, yes, your opinion is unpopular.  We ALL KNOW we should have done better along the way.  We don't need you telling us this, okay?

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.