Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is a post about my Nephew's Credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a post about my Nephew's Credit

Hello;

My nephew just turned 18, and he started ccollege this year. He tried to apply for a student credit card, and was denied. He was denied because there was an account in collection on his Credit Report. The account was with Verizon Communiations, (Not a cell phone account) It was an old phone number, and internet/cable provider at his mothers house, who opened the account with his social security number, and never paid for it. The account is in collection, and I feel like he should not have to pay for it, because he was only about 15 when it was opened, by his mother. How should he go about getting it off of his credit report??

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
daneatreia
Regular Contributor

Re: This is a post about my Nephew's Credit

Dispute the charge through the CRA's on the basis of fraud. 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like daneatreia said, he'll have to chalk it up to his mother being guilty of fraud.  Either that or pfd or gw it.  No other options.

Message 3 of 9
GregB
Valued Contributor

I'm not sure if either of the previous posters know, or made it clear, that he would probably need to file a police report for identity theft.

Since he was a minor at the time, he might be able to talk to the original creditor and prove to them that he couldn't have legally entered into a contract.

I would hate to see the mother get away with it but can tell you that the authorities usually do virtually nothing about this.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I decided to be a nice uncle, and pay off the account thats in collection, because he couldn't afford it, and my sister wouldn't pay for it either. And I didn't want anybody to get in trouble, so I paid it off for him, and he is working on improving the credit score. Thanks for the help.

Message 5 of 9
IOBA
Senior Contributor

CWilliams78 -

If I was in your position, I would probably give a very FIRM lecture to your sister and inform her if she EVER commits fraud or identity theft, you will personally help her son take her behind to court (Civilly) and make sure that he presses CRIMINAL charges against her as well.   Scare her some, but be prepared to back it up.   I don't know your sister or what it would take to get the message to her that it's NOT ok for her to do this and it will NOT be tolerated in the future.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did, trust me.

I don't have any kids of my own, and my nieces and nephews are like my children. I have tried helping out my sister many many times, and she just won't take any. I'm trying to work with her to get her credit into a better spot, (it's horrible currently) so she can have a better life. I just can't help out everybody all at once, and she doesn't understand that. I work full time, I pay all of my bills on time, and I have excellent credit. I own my house, and I own a rental property. I have 2 cars, and my own bills, too. If ever I try to help her out, she shoves my success right into my face. She had the option to go to college, but she decided to get married to a jobless hippy when she was only 17. And she has no job, he has no job, my retired parents pay for their rent every month. I bought her a car about 3 years ago, (Not a brand new one, of course) and her husband wrecked it. And I bought my nephew a car when he graduated high school, because he truly deserves it. I don't know how such a amazing child came from someone as pathetic as my sister. I just don't get how that happens. I truly feel bad for her. Thanks again for all of your help! 

Message 7 of 9
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

Simply dispute the account as "Not Mine" and put in the notes that he wasnt even 18 yet.... same thing happened to me... my parents bought a pickup with my social and had it repo'd and i had it taken off QUICKLY. 

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow. So sorry to hear that. Well, I paid it off anyhow, after we disputed it. Nothing happened in the dispute, unfortunately. But unless she does something else, I'm not going to take anymore action on it.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.