Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time for Chase?

tag
SonnyCanoe
Established Member

Time for Chase?

Been rebuilding for 2 years. $77k annual income. Ch13 BK no longer reporting on the 3 major bureaus. Holding 3 CCs. Discover IT CL $2450-20mos, CapOne Quicksilver CL$600-20mos, Local Credit Union Signature Visa CL$2000 1yr.  1 auto loan, $22k 1yr, through same local CU as card.  EQ681, TU763, EX717, all Fico. All current. I have 8 hard inquires in the past 2 years, 8 months being the most recent. I've read that some card issuers will automatically decline applicants for specific amounts of hard inquiries regardless of score. Is that a legitmate data point? I'm striving to get into the Chase ecosystem for all the great travel rewards. Would it be advisable to maybe wait until all bureaus report 700 and better before applying? I have no derogatories. Just fairly new accounts and the before mentioned inquiries that may seem thwart my progress. Thanks for any insight and direction. 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Nervous for First Chase

I mean it wouldn't hurt to wait more.. But since your oldest accounts are already 20 months, you have a good credit mix, and pretty good income, I'd say you have a fair shot even now. Just be wary of their 5/24 rule before applying, meaning you haven't opened 5 or more accounts in the last 24 months. I think you're on the cusp at 4.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 14
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Time for Chase?

Your profile is a little older (and better) than mine was when I went with Chase (CSP - I was also at 4/24).    I would recommend that if you try, you go with Freedom or CSP (not CSR) to help your odds a bit.     CSP is offering a nice SUB right now, if you can meet it.

If you avoid any other credit seeking ("Garden" for a bit), you might get pre-approved for another Chase card a few months afterwards if you are hoping to expand in their ecosystem.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 3 of 14
SonnyCanoe
Established Member

Awesome insight. Thx. 🙂

Message 4 of 14
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@SonnyCanoe wrote:

Been rebuilding for 2 years. $77k annual income. Ch13 BK no longer reporting on the 3 major bureaus. Holding 3 CCs. Discover IT CL $2450-20mos, CapOne Quicksilver CL$600-20mos, Local Credit Union Signature Visa CL$2000 1yr.  1 auto loan, $22k 1yr, through same local CU as card.  EQ681, TU763, EX717, all Fico. All current. I have 8 hard inquires in the past 2 years, 8 months being the most recent. I've read that some card issuers will automatically decline applicants for specific amounts of hard inquiries regardless of score. Is that a legitmate data point? I'm striving to get into the Chase ecosystem for all the great travel rewards. Would it be advisable to maybe wait until all bureaus report 700 and better before applying? I have no derogatories. Just fairly new accounts and the before mentioned inquiries that may seem thwart my progress. Thanks for any insight and direction. 

That statement on inquiries is a wives tale, if a bank wants to do business with you they will ignore them, we have some members here who have 50+ inquiries on a single CRA and are still getting approved. As far as Chase I would first push up the limits on your current cards (request CLIs on them) wait till the new limits report and then you can try Chase. Higher limits beget higher limits.

Message 5 of 14
SonnyCanoe
Established Member

Great strategy! Thanks!

Message 6 of 14
sjt
Senior Contributor

Did you have any Chase accounts included in your BK13? Also, have you checked their pre-qual site? chase.com/prequalified
American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 7 of 14
SonnyCanoe
Established Member

No Chase accounts involved in the Ch13. Recently opened a business checking with Chase however. I have tried the Chase pre-qual with no offers. Which is why I'm apprehensive in applying. 

Message 8 of 14
sjt
Senior Contributor

@SonnyCanoe wrote:

No Chase accounts involved in the Ch13. Recently opened a business checking with Chase however. I have tried the Chase pre-qual with no offers. Which is why I'm apprehensive in applying. 

Since you opened a Chase business checking, you should stop at a branch and see if there are any pre approvals. They can often have offers that may not show up on the prequal site or the website.
American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 9 of 14
SonnyCanoe
Established Member

Thanks. I was just thinking about doing this. I'm off today so I'm heading to my branch now. Here goes...

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.