Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to Be An Adult..... Desperately Need Credit Help

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: Time to Be An Adult..... Desperately Need Credit Help

@Anonymous wrote:

Any game plan on the order to start? Every website has conflicting info/plans.

To be honest it is very difficult to sort through the list you provided. A worksheet would be helpful to visualize. I understand Medical Bills and collections are easier to get removed. You could start making them partial amounts for settlement and also ask them to give you writing they will remove the collection information from the credit report. I beleive Portfolio and few other collection agencies would remove the negative trade line even if you make settlement and pay partial amount to them. Wish you all the best.

Message 21 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Grant & Weber is due to fall off on its own in a couple months. I would call TransUnion and Experian and ask for early exclusion on this one. You are in the window where both of those bureaus will grant it. On TransUnion, ask for a supervisor and tell them you're requesting early exclusion on that account. Takes just a couple minutes. For Experian, request the dispute department and explain clearly that you are not disputing it per se, you are requesting early exclusion - they do it via the dispute department. 

Calvary I believe is under the same umbrella as Portfolio and they have a published practice of deleting upon repayment, whether in full or settled for less. With them, try for the lowest amount they'll agree to, and run with it. They are known for deleting all traces of their reporting when completed. I would start at 30% of the balance and work from there.

I believe Credit Collection Services will also honor a PFD request. There is a thread started by (I believe) Remedios where members were posting CAs that will PFD. I think it's called something very basic like "Collection Agencies That Will PFD" or something similar - if you search it you'll find it and can see which of your other CAs will or will not PFD.

As for the reporting of the OC banks themselves, they basically do not remove early. Any of them who list on your reports with a zero balance have sold the account to a collector, and if they list a balance it means they still own the debt. If they own it, your best bet is to contact them (preferably with money ready) and ask what they're willing to accept in exchange for fulfilling the account. You can often do it on a payment plan but if you can pay it in one chunk, so much the better. Do not agree to any payments that you don't definitively know you can make - mess up on a payment plan and any deal is likely out the window. Open debts like that often act as if they're cards that are 100% maxed and they hurt your score. Further, many OCs will update reports monthly, refreshing the debt and keeping your scores suppressed. Once they're paid, the refreshes stop and the accounts begin to age, allowing your scores to begin to recover.

For medical debts, you can request validation, ask the OC to recall the debt from collections in exchange for direct payment, see if Charity Care can pay it, and if all else fails, you can google the HIPAA dispute process (we cannot discuss it in any form on here). If you search out posts by Moderator gdale6 that refer to medical debt, he lists the steps in order to follow for removing medical debt reporting on your credit.

Message 22 of 23
donkort
Valued Contributor

I can see your situation getting much better in a relatively short period of time.  

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.