Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to garden??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Time to garden??

Ok everyone, I am currently fresh on my rebuild and have recently opened 3 accounts that have not hit yet. I opened a self lender loan, a personal loan for 2000 and a capital one unsecured card with 300 cl. I believe they should all hit in January. Should i just garden these accounts or should i try to get a secured card to help out more? If yes should I opt for the discover it with 250 or nfcu with 500 . if nfcu it will take me a little longer to get the 500 for the deposit. Thank you for all replies!! Currently my scores according to my fico are ... Equifax 602 tu 610 and experian 581
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

Re: My rebuild

Honestly I'd have the NFCU deposit ready and apply for an unsecured CC first. They may just say sure or then you have the option to have the secured open. 

Also when available scoop up an Open Sky Secured as well so that you have three cards reporting for a maximum score boost. FICO loves to see one installment loan and three cards, two reporting a zero balance and one reporting less than 9%. Good luck with your rebuild and keep us posted. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response.... I app for an unsecured card from nfcu but was denied a few days ago... Not sure the reason yet.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats, taking those first steps is the hardest part.

For scoring, you need 3 cards, and one installment loan.  Sounds like you have the installment thing done.  For cards discover is awesome (mine just grad in 7 months) and highly recommend.   Now as for NFCU, and as always YMMV due to credit profiles being different, my scores were a lot lower than yours when I started rebuilding and my NFCU card was approved unsecured.  NFCU really like low DTI, so that helps a lot to get the unsecured card if you can. Up to you but you might want to give it a shot if your DTI is low

Here's to looking forward to your rebuilding success Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hopefully i get my denial letter in the mail soon so i can see why I was denied for nfcu.
Message 5 of 10
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

I'd still get the NFCU secured and if/when you can stick $300 on a secured Disco. They seem to be a good card and graduate after 7 months for most folks. 

I'm still waiting to see if PenFed will use my CD to let me have a secured card. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sandman771 wrote:

I'd still get the NFCU secured and if/when you can stick $300 on a secured Disco. They seem to be a good card and graduate after 7 months for most folks. 

I'm still waiting to see if PenFed will use my CD to let me have a secured card. 

@Anonymous has a good point. Just getting your foot in the door will open up possibilities faster than you can imagine.   

Ill cross fingers toes and anything else in pairs that works out for you Sandman.   

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah all of my checks will be direct deposited into my new nfcu checking account when I get my debit card in the mail. I have already started depositing money into my nfcu savings account. Hopefully doing those two things will increase my future odds with nfcu as well
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My patience is very low... I am very tempted at this moment to use my cap1 card and make a western union payment to my bank ... And use that to open my discover secured card. The balance would be paid before the statement cuts... Thoughts?
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My rebuild update

Ok so I just got approved and payed my deposit for an open sky secured card. I now have two cards and two loan installments to garden. I will now be gardening for 6 months before i apply for a nfcu card and discover card
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.