Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips rebuilding credit score if not paying student loans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tips rebuilding credit score if not paying student loans

I have MyFed Loans that are over 100k. I'm on an income based repayment plan which has me paying zero each month and, thus, I'm not paying anything to these guys.

I have Navient loans at about 25k. I'm paying on those regularly and on time.

I have 2 credit cards, both of which I use regularly (one much more than the other). I also have a charge account which I use from time to time.

My credit score increased after I got the two credit cards (about 4 months ago) by about 10-15 points in the first 2 months, but then my credit score, more or less, stayed the same for the next two months.

Is it possible to substantially increase my score (say mid to high 700s) by not paying on the MyFed Loans (since interest will keep increasing)? (Should I get another credit card?).

My current credit score with TransUnion is 675 and with Equifax it is at 677.

2 REPLIES 2
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

Re: Tips rebuilding credit score if not paying student loans

@Anonymous wrote:

I have MyFed Loans that are over 100k. I'm on an income based repayment plan which has me paying zero each month and, thus, I'm not paying anything to these guys.

I have Navient loans at about 25k. I'm paying on those regularly and on time.

I have 2 credit cards, both of which I use regularly (one much more than the other). I also have a charge account which I use from time to time.

My credit score increased after I got the two credit cards (about 4 months ago) by about 10-15 points in the first 2 months, but then my credit score, more or less, stayed the same for the next two months.

Is it possible to substantially increase my score (say mid to high 700s) by not paying on the MyFed Loans (since interest will keep increasing)? (Should I get another credit card?).

My current credit score with TransUnion is 675 and with Equifax it is at 677.

You are good right now. Just let what you have age and your scores will slowly rise as you get more age and good payment history. If you are eligible for PLSF or some other program that is eligible for forgiveness then stay the course on Fed loan and just build up your 10 years to get it forgiven 0 payments count too for PLSF. If not you may want to start paying more on it if you are able, so you are not paying interest on interest.

You did not mention any baddies but if you do have those then you should see what you can do to get those off or at least aging by paying them off.

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tips rebuilding credit score if not paying student loans

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.